Mares smart dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kpaolisso

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wanted to get some thoughts on the mares smart dive computer. The good and the bad. Looking to get one for my dive. Had thought about cressi Leonardo or Giotto but like the clearness of mares screen. Read a lot of bad reviews on the mares matrix. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Mares smart dive computer? Which model are you asking about? My Icon is seriously smart - especially with air integration. Extremely readable as well.

I cannot find another name for it. I just says Mares Smart Dive. I think it is fairly new. Was looking at the mares matrix but read a lot of reviews about it cracking easily and just all out failing and locking up so looked for a different model and found the smart dive. It's going for about 400-600USD depending on the retailer.

I love my Mares Icon. The Smart looks like a dual purpose unit. A dive computer that doubles as a watch on the surface. I don't wear a watch (retired) so I'd probably look at something that's just a dive computer.

Limited - Logbook memory: 9 dives, can do that on a busy weekend would never cover a 7 day live-aboard!
Is it a user changeable battery?

Looks like a Puck Pro but possibly a bit smaller, and more cost.

If you just want a diver computer (not a watch) look at the Puck-2 or Puck Pro.

Limited - Logbook memory: 9 dives, can do that on a busy weekend would never cover a 7 day live-aboard!
Is it a user changeable battery?

Looks like a Puck Pro but possibly a bit smaller, and more cost.

If you just want a diver computer (not a watch) look at the Puck-2 or Puck Pro.

According to the manual, it has a 35 hour memory. Not sure where the 9 dive comes from? Just got mine- and will dive with it next weekend. I've only got 6 dives planned- so still, not a problem. It's pretty easy to use, and has a great, solid feel

The puck/pro is huge and plastic. the Mares Smart looks like a watch, has a stainless steel bezel, a mineral screen (instead of those plastic screens that get scratched up). From a function standpoint, I don't know that it does much more than a PuckPro or the other "hockey puck" sized dive computers. But if you want one that you can wear as a watch, is easy to use and has a solid build feel- with all the basic functions and then some... it's a good choice. I was also looking at the Oceanic Geo 2.0. I think the better packaging is worth the extra $100. But I like small things and have good close-up vision.

I sell the Smart at my dive store, they're one of the cheapest watch sized dive computers out right now. morey000 is right; it has a 36 hour memory and with a download cable you can save it to your computer.

They're light weight and low profile, similar to a sports watch, easy to use and it's won a ScubaLab's Best Buy Award.

Air and Nitrox mode make this great for any recreational diver.

As a note if you are looking at the Geo 2 you'll get Oceanic's lifetime warranty which will get you free batteries if you service them once a year,

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Mares Icon HD Black. I've been using a Galileo Luna for years but it's starting to get a little flakey. (Not turning on, losing communication with transmitter, etc.)

I know it's big, but that's ok as long as its reliable and gets me the info I need.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom