Mares Ruby Titanium & Nitrox--Please advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok.. So so I bought this reg when I first got certified and used it for both air and Nitrox dives in the early 2000's. I was out of diving for 4 years and just got back into it---got my reg inspected 2 months ago and the conversation came up about how I can't use this reg for nitrox b/c it's titanium.

So I called Mares this morning and asked them and they said I need to have viton O rings and cristol lube put in it as well as have it nitrox cleaned. After that is all done I can use it up to 40%.

So then I started calling LDS in Ft. Lauderdale and asked if they did the work---1/3 said I did not need that done, 1/3 said they don't do that service, and 1/3 said I need to have the service done.

So now I look to the knowledge experts on SB to get your advice. Do I:

1)spend the money to get the reg retrofitted for nitrox

2) leave it alone and dive on it with any mix under 40% (which I would anyway)

Please help as I am planning on going on a nitrox dive next weekend and servicing takes a week (if you think I need to have that done) :confused

Last edited:
Titanium should be fine for under 40%. But nitrox regs should have cristol lube in them.

I am going to split the difference. You probably do not need it done as most regs in the past 10 years have been out of the box NITROX compatible. But given that the reg had not been used for 4 years it would be wise to have it rebuilt. So get it rebuilt, which should include a complete cleaning and replacement of all o-rings, HP seat, filters, etc. as well a lubed with O2 compatible lube.

ok..well I did get the reg serviced in the past 2 months---but I don't know if all you mentioned was completed. probably a wise idea to get it cristol lubed and new o rings put in it.

This is once again so much happy horse s***. For Nitrox < 40% there is no need to do anything what-so-ever, though oxygen compatable o-rings and lube are never a bad idea. For over 40%, equipment should be cleaned and set up for oxygen service. The only exceptions to this are cylinders and valves that may be used in a partial pressure blending operation, since they will be exposed during that process to 100% oxygen.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Duplicate threads merged.

The Mares Titanium Ruby is NOT a true titanium regulator!!! It is a standard MR22 with a Ruby poppet and titanium plating on the outside. The body inside is chrome plated brass - just like most other regs. It weighs exactly the same as any MR22 - no weight savings because the entire body is not titanium. Mares manufactured this when there was lots of talk about the "value" of titanium for regulators and this was their Ultra-high end regulator at the time - it came with a special face plate on the Abyss 2nd - which was also titanium plated.

It is a great looking and breathing regulator - but it handles nitrox the same as any other Mares Reg - viton o-rings and cristolube are a good idea for any reg using nitrox - but anything less than 40% does not require it.

Thanks for all your feedback..Dropped the reg off at a shop today. Asked for viton o rings and cristolube. At the end of the day it's cheaper than buying a new reg---something I hate to do b/c I love this one.. I just hope it won't cost $200 in parts and labor!

John,
Ok, Here is the deal. There is some debate in the industry as to whether Titatanium and enriched oxygen are compatible. Some argue that a "flash" fire can occur under high pressure. This regulator preceeds me, however I believe it was just an external coating which in theory should not present an issue internally, which is where any combustion could possibly occur.

RE: Nitrox. All of our regulators are considered safe to use Nitrox up to no more than 40% directly out of the box, without any modifications. If you decide to use a higher enriched O2% it is highly recommended to have the regulator throroughly cleaned and fitted with Viton Orings and crystallube silicone.

If the shop doesn't want to do it because of lack of parts, then I guess they don't get your business. This upgrade is not difficult and any trained tech should be able to facilitate this.

There is no evidence of issues with the Ruby Titanium and EAN that I am aware of. This is a decision only you can make.

Best regards,

Thanks for all your feedback..Dropped the reg off at a shop today. Asked for viton o rings and cristolube. At the end of the day it's cheaper than buying a new reg---something I hate to do b/c I love this one.. I just hope it won't cost $200 in parts and labor!

...it's probably too late to help you this time...but the titanium is only a cosmetic coating because back in the day slapping titanium on a reg was a good way for MARES to 'pimp my ride' and charge the big bucks for an otherwise concentional brass 1st-stage. ...gonna maybe suggest you upgrade to the new/improved MARES tri-material HP poppet system......I've got a non-titanium RUBY that will be getting TWO critical upgrades sometime this winter: 1) new tri-material HP poppet (meaning I'm ditching the 'ruby' inside) 2) installing the new MARES dry-sealed 1st-stage kit. The 'ruby' didn't work out too well in practice....the ruby lasts a long time, but it quickly wears out the HP seat.......also, if the 'ruby' inside ever breaks, that alone will cost you over $ 200 to replace!

Back
Top Bottom