Mares Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone tell me of the experiences you have with Mares regulators? It seems hard to find anyone that service them but I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive second setup. I have met people on previous trips that dive with Mares so I would think it would be fairly dependable. Thanks in advance.
If your looking for inexpensive and good quality go for a HOG regulator (d2 or d3)... Mares is good on high end regs not so much budget ones...<TG>

i just picked up an old MR42T and Proton Metal and they breathe great. Although I forgot to put a zip-tie on the mouthpiece and had some wet breathing last night. Don't do that.

The Journey appears to be a rebadged Prestige/Rover. Combined with the 15X first stage, this is a well-proven midrange regset that can handle anything short of extreme cold or depth. My son dives a Prestige 15X.

Mares is good on high end regs not so much budget ones...<TG>
The Mares budget first stage is the 2S, which is a piston design. The 15X is a balanced diaphragm design that is internally similar to the 22X, they even use the same service kit.

I think the reg set you linked to will serve you well. I find Mares regulators to work just as well as just about any other brand on the market. I dont expect you would have issues with it should you purchase it.

That being said, I cant comment on whether the price is a good deal or not, as there are various factors that factor in to that, some being personal in nature. I will state, however, that if you dont plan on servicing the regulator yourself that you should strongly consider the hassle to find a service center and the expense of service in the equation of whether or not you consider the sale price as a "good deal".

Also, realize that by purchasing from a website, if there are any adjustments that need to be made to the 1st or 2nd stages, you will need to find someone to provide that service. It is not incommon across all brands that a regulator needs fine tuning between unboxing and first use. Usually a shop will check and tune the ref if necessary before it walks out the door. It is debatable whether the website you are purchasing from does this.

-Z
Divers Direct is a chain of dive shops in Florida that must be one of the largest scuba retailers in the world. Since the ”Journey” doesn't appear in Mares catalogue or anywhere other than Divers Direct, I would assume this was a branding deal that lets DD get around Mares very strict MAP policy in the US.

That said, assuming you will also be getting the octo, right now you can get a slightly better price ($385 vs $395) at an even larger retailer: Mares Prestige 15X and Prestige Octopus Package

As to service, if you do a lot of your diving in Florida, then Divers Direct might work as your local shop. If not, maybe call around to your closest Mares dealers and see if they'll match the Leisurepro price on the Prestige 15X.

You can trust them, robust and work of breath is fantastic if set right. I dive the Abyss/ MR 22 singles and the MR52 1st with MR22 second for my twins. My son dives the Rover (jr limited to 18m so doesn't really need a balanced 1st yet). I also have Scubapro, Apeks and Hollis and honestly I trust my Mares every time, is like the Rolls Royce in my collection.

If your looking for inexpensive and good quality go for a HOG regulator (d2 or d3)..
At this price, the HOG alternative would be the D1X. But you have the same issue of finding local service in the US as both are less popular brands here. Outside the US, Mares is very well supported while HOG is basically unheard of. But HOG does support self-service, so you can either learn to do it yourself or bring a service kit with you even you go overseas. Any tech should be able to work on it as long as you have the parts.

One other thing. I would get the Prestige over the Journey just to avoid confusion and potential warranty questions if you have to bring it into any shop for service other than Divers Direct.

But HOG does support self-service...

This is widely believed but not "fully" true. HOG does not promote self service without taking a service class under a specific training agency. One cannot get an official copy of their service manual without taking the class. With regards to their service kits, they do not make them available for sale to the public but also do not prohibit their dealers from selling the kits to the public...if hypothetically DRIS was the only shop selling the kits and they decided to stop selling them, then you would be sh#t out of luck. At least that is according to my research...otherwise HOG regs are a good regset and their are service kits available for sale on the open retail market, for now.

-Z

That's why I said ”support" rather than something more emphatic like "promote". At least they allow the sale of service kits and have partnered with TDI to offer a course which certified diver can take. There is even a Zoom version offered by at least one shop: Hog/Edge Regulator Service Technician Course - VIRTUAL CLASS

The service manuals come with the class. I don't know how hard it is to get an unofficial copy.

Contrast this with Mares which prohibits the sale of any service parts through its US and Canada dealers and only allows techs employed by shops to take its course. I had to have parts shipped from Italy to service my own regs. And despite how much time we spent looking to find Mares manuals to build Mares Regulator Service Manuals and Info we got blanked on anything later than the 52X.

Reactions: Zef
The Mares Prestige (Journey) uses same service kit as the Rover. Rover with the 15x 1st stage is part of Mares Dive center line and is built like a tank... heavy use with little, chep and easy maintenance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom