MARES R2 & MR12/ Axis Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikit24

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a reg and came across these in the latest issue of scubadiving magazine. They gave the MARES R2 & MR12/ Axis Pro Testers choice awards. They are reasonably priced on leisure pro.com (114 & 133). Originally I wanted to go with the Mares v16/Proton XL, but for 299, that's quite a bit more. I will be doing recreational diving, with no plans on tech diving in the near future. All of which I will be doing in South Florida and the Keys. Please let me know what your opinions are on these regs. Thanks.

Both entry level regs. Not a bad choice. I would recommend that you keep looking though, unless of course you intend on diving fairly shallow. Then these regs will suit you. Also take a look at servicability in your area for this type.

Have a Mares R2 regulator. Great item! It is not the newest model, but I an very satisfied with it and so is my 13 year-old daughter.

No need to spend mega-bucks for quality equipment.

We have a MR12 Axis; this is our "spare and loaner" regulator. It has provided great service and been exceptionally reliable. Max depth on this has been 110 fsw, with relatively easy breathing, although if you are used to a performance regulator, you will certainly notice the difference.

The stock mouthpiece is terrible, though.

All the best, James

Do you guys have the pro model? Or is the pro model the only one they sell?

I believe the Pro model is this years version. Ours is about a year and a half old and is not the Pro model. I'm not sure what, if any differences there are besides second stage color and a different mouthpiece.

Perhaps Greg may chime in here, he is very knowledgable on the Mares line.

All the best, James

The Pro model has a redesigned second stage poppet. The original had a common problem with annoying free flows that typically came about after 20 dives or so. The vast majority of original Axis regs have now been refitted with the new style connector. You can check if one has been converted by looking at the seat connector after removing the second stage hose. If the connector is green in color, then it is the new style. The originals were white.

I have one of the very early production originals that still has the original connector. Mine has never had a problem after many dives. It is now used as a deco reg, and offers great performance. I've used it as deep as 115', and actually did a test where I tried to overbreathe it. After more than two minutes all I succeded in doing was getting light headed from the hyperventilation. Several dive buddies also use the Axis for deco purposes. They have proven to be very reliable after the connectors are replaced. BTW, Mares has a standard policy of not charging customers for this refit.

The Axis offers surprising performance for such a simple reg. The VAD really does a nice job of reducing overall work-of-breathing effort, and allows the reg to remain very stable. The purge button is superior to that of the Proton, and the larger casing is hardly noticeable in the water.

Greg

Have a MR12 with the EPOS 2nd stage and Axis Octo. Only had it to 90', but no noticable change in WOB. The Octo tends to be a little sensitive, will often freeflow when I first get in the water. May just need adjustment.

Would probably use it more, but I'm partial to my Conshelf XIV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom