Mares Puck vs. Sub Gear XP10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyce1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just returned my Oceanic Atom 2.0 Air Integrated wrist computer that I received as a gift after reading some mixed reviews that it was confusing to use, and after going through the manual it seemed that the processes and menus would take alot of refreshing every 3-6 months when I dive.

I decicded to switch to a non air integrated computer because it just seemed that AI ones that were easier to use were way outside my price range.

I'm going back and forth between a console and a wrist computer.
I like the idea of a wrist computer because I can wear it while snorkeling and freediving, as both a watch and depth gauge.

However, I am not sure if getting a wrist computer with seperate pressure gauage is worth not having them together. The only reason I would want them together is for logging dive data on a computer, but I am not sure if for how randomly I get to go diving it would matter.

The two I am looking at are:

Sub Gear XP10 - $210
SUBGEAR

Mares Puck $170
Puck Wrist - Wrist Computer - Mares - just add water

- Both prices are from scubastore.com

Both of these computers seem to have great reviews and be easy to use. I am just looking for some more input from other scubaboard members who have experience using these items before purchasing one.

I bought my XP10 in the 3-gauge console setup when I bought my first set of gear. It is a great air\nitrox computer, and can transfer your dive logs by infrared (from my experience, around 20-25 depending on dive time) to the dive log software. It took a good while to get used to navigating the settings - now that I moved in tec diving, I upgraded my computers and still bring the XP10 as a backup gauge\loaner on trips for someone that may need it. The 3 gauge console was very bulky, and now just clipping off a SPG its much more streamlined, so I really recommend that option. DeepSeaSupply makes a well-made bungee ready mount for the XP10 if you dont like the wrist-strap SubGear supplies it with.

Puck is simple to operate, easy to read & is a conservative algorithm. It is a tad "bulky" (there is a new model out by Mares that appears a slight bit smaller). I will say, you had best be more than skilled with a computer if you are going to want to use the software, and the data cable is pure piracy for the price that is charged for it. The program is "quirky", and you will get no technical support from Mares at all. I believe DiveNav is developing an interface/log book, that may be a better option to use it with. With its size, it is more a "forearm mount" than a "wrist mount".

I was torn between these two for my wife, and got her the Puck. For the price, it will do......

......The two I am looking at are:
Sub Gear XP10 ..... Mares Puck $170 ......
Both of these computers seem to have great reviews and be easy to use. I am just looking for some more input from other scubaboard members who have experience using these items before purchasing one.
You can see both of them in action in our simulators and our online classes.

Mares has the puck pro out now slightly larger display. Even Puck pro vs Xp-10 I think when you add the cost of accessories of the $80+ mares PC interface vs the $12 IR reader for Xp-10, value goes to the subgear product. If you plan on diving over 50% oxygen then the puck pro will have to be the one since xp-10 only does up to 50%. No one around here dives with more than Nitrox 36 so its a non-issue to me

We elected to take the online tutorial on the dive computer. Rather pleased with the xp-10.

I second the deepseasupply bungee mount for the XP-10 capsule. An infrared reader was found for $12(computer order to front door) and the Xp-10 for $180 x 2 + $40 shipping from Gerona,Spain(scubastore aka diveinn) to Hawaii. A note: ordered a little bit thicker bungee for ebay 5mm(3/16") feels abit more substantial for compass and capsule mounting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom