Question Mares Puck Pro PLUS vs. Mares Puck 4: where's the difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maartnn3293

Registered
Reaction score
Dear

I am a new SSI Open Water Diver (10+ dives) and am interested in buying a dive computer.

By surfing on the internet, I came across the Mares Puck Pro+ and Mares Puck 4 dive computers. Can someone explain the difference between those two computers? I have read the Puck 4 is able to make a bluethooth connection and the Puck Pro+ isn't. Are there more differences?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Hi @Maartnn3293

I don't own either one of these, but researched them both when I was considering replacing my current PDC. For me the biggest documented differences in the Puck 4 were:
  • Bulhmann ZH-L16C algorithm instead of Mares RGBM, with four presets. Custom gradient factors are also supported (but I suspect that setting them on a single-button computer could be a real pain...)
  • Option to set alarms for a user-defined maximum depth (independent of MOD) and dive time
  • 100 hours of logging instead of 35 hours (both are at 5-second sample rates)
  • Integrated bluetooth - the Puck Pro+ can do Bluetooth as well but requires a separate attachment, which seemingly more than negates the price difference between the two
  • Auto-detection of altitude from ambient pressure instead of dependency on user setting it
None of this is from actual experience using the two PDCs - just from comparing the manuals available on the Mares site.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for this information. It’s very helpful.

In the manual I don’t read anything about the safety stop. Does it mean this PC doesn’t show the safety stop?

I haven't looked too hard at the new Puck 4, but the summary above is helpful. My son and I have been each been diving a Mares Puck Pro+ for over 5 years now, and I also have a Mares Puck Pro (not +) as a spare. They definitely do automatically start a Safety Stop count down once you rise to about 20 feet/6 meters.

In my opinion, the Puck Pro and Puck Pro+ are great computers for recreational divers, so to me the best thing about the new Puck 4 is that it may mean good discounts on the Puck Pros. I don't care as much about bluetooth connections, and yes the Puck Pros can be attached via cable (not included) to a computer. Also, from a variety of experience, if you set the Puck Pro conservatism to least conservative, I don't have significant difference in NDL time on my recreational dives versus my Shearwater Perdix 2 (including a number of dives below 100 feet/30 meters). From what I've read, the Puck Pros are still less conservative than most competitors at or above their price range. Yes, at times one button can be annoying, but it is simple and works, and seems to me to be the best value in an economical dive computer.

See also:

Thank you for this information. It’s very helpful.

In the manual I don’t read anything about the safety stop. Does it mean this PC doesn’t show the safety stop?
It's there - buried deep in the fine print in section 3.4.2 :)

1726255853118.png

Yes, at times one button can be annoying, but it is simple and works, and seems to me to be the best value in an economical dive computer.
Fully agree. My current PDC (which I decided not to replace - yet) is a one button, and I don't mind it at all.

Just from the number of complaints in reviews etc about one-button PDCs I figured I would give a nod to it...

@Rob9876
Thank you for the information about the Pro’s. Still on my list as an option to buy :).

@therookie
Oops, read over it. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom