Mares Puck Pro feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking to buy a mares puck pro.
anyone out there has feedback on this computer?

thanx!

Low(ish) profile, nice strap because despite the name it not a "Puck" style computer in that it can't be popped out and fit into a console.

Surprisingly capable multiple gas computer.

The display is a little busy in how much info it presents, but once used to it, it's better than the other option of having to hit the button to have info displayed you want to see.

Seems to have no problem remembering nitrox percentage between dives.

Ask questions for more info than that, since it's hard to know what you are looking for.

I'm lookign for a basic computer that is not air integrated, big display with autible alarms.
nothing too complicate. I don't plan on doing nitrox at this time but I like the fact that I could if I deside to do it.

how's the backlight? is the screen easy to ready(size of digits)

thanx for the info!

Of the simple wrist computers I have used (puck style), it has the biggest display, because (as mentioned) it is not made to fit into a standard console so Mares used the extra real estate to make for a bigger layout. I used to be concerned that because they also put a lot of info on the display that students could get confused, but surprisingly, most seem to prefer the lots of info display of the Puck Pro to the much simpler display of the simple puck style computers.

The backlight is good, nothing special, but then again since the switch to backglow lighting all dive computers have gotten pretty good. It's not an OLED display, but then again most night divers I know would not want a computer lighting up except when asked to.

The audible alarm is switchable, and useful without being annoyingly intrusive, again comparing it to other wrist computers.

For whatever reason, I can pick out its "Hey you crossed 20 feet, I'm counting down your safety stop now!" single beep better than any other simple wrist computer I have used.

I really do like it as a basic but extendable computer. Recommendation: get it is the white accent version. It is much more stylish IMHO.

The puck series from Mares are all great computers for the recreational diver. They are super conservative and easy to use. I will say I didn't care for the air integration version mainly because it's habit of considering 700psi to be an empty tank and not counting down safety stops below that pressure.

Last edited:
thanx for that. I have no desire for air integrated.
SPG all the way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom