Mares Proton vs. Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtheale

Reaction score
I'll be purchasing a new regulator in the near future and have read good reviews for the Mares Abyss as well as Proton. What are the advantages of one over the other, and is one superior to the other. I'll be using the reg for nothing more than sport diving in moderate temps and depths. Any info is appreciated

jtheale:
I'll be purchasing a new regulator in the near future and have read good reviews for the Mares Abyss as well as Proton. What are the advantages of one over the other, and is one superior to the other. I'll be using the reg for nothing more than sport diving in moderate temps and depths. Any info is appreciated

This will help with the Abyss

http://www.scubaboard.com/t65617.html

The Proton Ice is very nice, but the proton metal is now avalible, a little cheaper. I dive a Proton XL.

I would probably by the ice next, Mrs Mares likes the Abyss

IMHO for the diving you have mentioned get the Abyss :wink:

jtheale:
Welcome to the board.
I am using the Abyss since couple of years. Dove it in cold and warm water, shallow and deep. Never a problem. Always gave me all the air I needed.
It's heavy but again, it's solid and reliable.
I can only recommend it.

From one who services both models, I have a few thoughts.

First, the Proton is a bit easier to fine tune for breathing effort thanks to the access port. I also like that the second stage is easily disassembled without any tools. It also comes with a more flexible hose, which many divers find more comfortable. The only real problem is that bubble interference is more common in various body positions. I find my own two to have excellent stability, and no noticeable breathing resistance.

The Abyss is extremely robust, as it has only a few O-rings. It, too, offers very stable performance. The fact that it has a larger diaphragm allows the inhalation effort to be slightly less due to the mechanical advantage. It also has better bubble dispersion than the Proton. Fine tuning is a bit tougher and typically takes me at least twice as long to get "just right".

Both are great regs. They will serve 90% of the world's divers at least 90% of their dives all in a simple, robust, and very reliable package.

Greg
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom