Mares Proton 12 (metal) - how is it / how different is it from the newer model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djmike523

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm interested in picking this item up, knowing full well it isn't the 'latest and greatest' metal reg offered.

That said, do you have thoughts on it? Thanks in advance for the advice!

I have a "Limited" (which from my understanding is the same thing)Been using it for about 3 years over 100 dives on it. Been down to 145ft. ,done a lot of hard diving(current , cold water 42º,lobster & spearfishing) I'm 6'3"/215lb.s and under certain circumstances can "suck down" a lotta air, and I've never had any problems with not meeting my demands or freeflows.
I also have a Tusa 530 & a AQLung Titan, but my Mares is my "goto" reg.I hope this helps.

Hi guys, Actually the Proton Metal 12 is a different regulator than the limited you have Gmanstan. The Proton 12 is essentially an MR 12 which is a balanced diaphragm 1st stage. It is in the lower range of pricepoints for our 1st stages, however pound for $ it is absolutely a fantastic 1st stage and bullet proof. The proton metal 2nd stage is going out of the line for 2012, however it's been a great 2nd stage for the last 10 years or so. The great thing about this combination is you get a somewhat entry level price 1st stage with a higher price point 2nd. The metal 2nd is more durable than polymer (plastic), better in cold water than polymer, and condenses slightly internally which provides a nice moisture (decreasing dry mouth). We created this set up as special opportunity for our retailers. It was never part of the catalog, yet at the end of the day both components were being used with different 1st and 2nd stages, so they are both great on their own merit. I'd go for it if I were you.

I hope this helps!

P.S. Nice lingcod Gmanstan. Big one.. I see you are in the Bay Area, do you have a LDS that you call home?

Best regards to you both,

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom