Mares prestige octopus adjustment information or service manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murphy01

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi I am new on this forum and I am looking for the mares prestige octopus service manual or the way how I can adjust this regulator the same I have for the my abyss. In the abyss manual is exact explained how you have to adjust this regulator for example the way you have to install the seat connector and how to check the height of the demand lever. Does someone has this information.

Thanks in advantage

Hi I am new on this forum and I am looking for the mares prestige octopus service manual or the way how I can adjust this regulator the same I have for the my abyss. In the abyss manual is exact explained how you have to adjust this regulator for example the way you have to install the seat connector and how to check the height of the demand lever. Does someone has this information.

Thanks in advantage

I searched and could not find a service manual for the Prestige 2nd stage. However, I do not suspect that it will be too different from Mares' other plastic 2nd stages as far as internal parts and adjustment procedure.

If you understand how to adjust the Abyss, you should be able to adjust the Prestige.

Like the Abyss, you will need to balance orifice depth and lever height to get the correct tuning. When you move the orifice, you also effect the lever height... turning the orifice counter-clockwise will reduce cracking effort, but also raises the demand lever; turning the orifice clockwise increases cracking effort but also lowers the lever.

Generally, you will need to adjust the orifice, adjust the lever height, test, then repeat as necessary. Properly adjusted, the regulator should breath very easily, and there should be very slight play between the demand lever and diaphragm... this play is tested for with the 2nd stage pressurized, if you shake the 2nd stage gently you should hear the very slight tapping of the lever hitting the diaphragm (but there will be no tapping sound with the 2nd stage de-pressurized). The purge button should travel 1 - 2mm before air starts to flow... if it travels further than this the lever is probably adjusted too low... if it travels less than this the lever is probably too high.

As with the Abyss (and any second stage), when adjusting the orifice be sure to depress the demand lever to prevent the edge of the orifice cutting (and ruining) the soft seat.

Best wishes.

Note: I forgot to mention that small adjustments generally go a long way, especially when turning the nylock nut on the demand lever. In most cases you will make very small adjustment, then test, and repeat until you get the 2nd staged tuned the way you want it. For example, turning the orifice 30 degrees (from 12 o'clock to 1 o'clock) is a tiny movement but often results in a noticeable change in performance.

Last edited:
Hi!
For balance orifice depth in octopus Mares, turn it clockwise full and then counter clockwise 4 complete turns.
4,5 is the normal in Mares 2nd stages with S lever-not straight, with a small curve- used as 2nd main stage

The octopus works a little bit detuned (to prevent free flow)

Excuse my poor english skills

Regards

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom