Mares Mr22 Ruby...good Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Mares MR22 Ruby set up. The current owner has not dove with it for a while and states the intermediate pressure is a problem. Of course if I buy the set up I would have it serviced. Considering this is an older model of the MR22, should I consider this or should I pass? Is IP something that can always be brought back into spec with servicing? Are there known issues with this particular model that I should be aware of in considering a purchase?

Thanks,
Zef

ip is the main thing that is fixed during service. I don't like the regulators personally for various reasons, but if it's a good deal then grab it. Being in Belgium, I would lean towards Apeks or Scubapro if possible, but nothing inherently wrong with Mares.

Do you not like Mares regulators or this particular model?

What would you think is a good deal for this? (It includes Ruby 1st stage, Abyss 2nd, Abyss octo, along with depth and pressure gauges).

-Zef

not particularly fond of the company as a whole for various reasons, but it has nothing to do with quality or anything. They're perfectly good regulators, just miss checking a lot of boxes for my use. With the conversion rates where they are, I am not in touch with the european market, but at the current exchange rates, with that condition, I wouldn't pay any more than 250 euro, with the contingency that if the regulator can't be serviced, you can return it.

So a $100 US would be a good price.

The Mares MR22 Ruby was never a good design and was always a problem since it came out. I wouldn't buy it or use it even if it were free.

I am considering buying a Mares MR22 Ruby set up. The current owner has not dove with it for a while and states the intermediate pressure is a problem. Of course if I buy the set up I would have it serviced. Considering this is an older model of the MR22, should I consider this or should I pass? Is IP something that can always be brought back into spec with servicing? Are there known issues with this particular model that I should be aware of in considering a purchase?

Thanks,
Zef
It may need a new ruby seat, or hopefully the hp orifice knife edge is not dinged. Personally I would bring it in or have the seller do so to check to make sure there is nothing major before you make the purchase. (to add: They can inspect the first stage HP seating surfaces within a couple of minutes without a full break down or any lengthy involvement.)

If it checks out okay and looks to be just a standard servicing, you'll have the added benefit of less weight to wear to get down. :wink:

IMHO it is not a bad reg, just a completely overbuilt first stage to accomplish what most all the rest do without all of its unnecessary added material weigh.

Last edited:
BurhanMuntasser,
Thanks for your advice...can you give me a little more details as to why it was not a good design and what was so problematic about it?

-Zef

peege,
unfortunately I am stationed in Belgium and the regulator is in the US so I would not have the opportunity to have it inspected prior to purchase. I don't think the seller would be interested in investing in having it serviced prior to selling it. Is the orifice something that can be changed?

-Zef

peege,
unfortunately I am stationed in Belgium and the regulator is in the US so I would not have the opportunity to have it inspected prior to purchase. I don't think the seller would be interested in investing in having it serviced prior to selling it. Is the knife-edge orifice something that can be changed?

-Zef
Then I'd "walk". Better options to put $100 plus shipping toward IMO.

Back
Top Bottom