Mares MR22, and MC2 Cold water performance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anything I should know about using this regulator and computer in cold water temperatures?

Also, is the computer conservative?

I think this is a good reg for cold water diving. The metal in the 2nd stage will help prevent free flows much better than an all plastic 2nd. And diaphram regs are generally preferred for cold water diving.
If you're diving when the air temps have dropped, I'll offer a couple of precautions.
1) Don't 'breathe' the reg until you're about to submerge. Just test with the purge valve. There's enough moisture in your exhaled breath to cause the second stage to freeze open.
2) When you finish the dive, try and purge any water out asap. And I usually try and get the reg computer/gauges into a warm vehicle (above freezing) toprevent any water freezing in them. Water expands when it freezes into ice and I've always worried it could damage a sensor, etc.

I don't know how conservative that computer is.

Hi guess, I have the M2 computer (the non-console version of the MC2) and love it. It used a modified RGBM algorythm which from what I've read is among the more conservative on the market.

What exactly is your definition of Cold?

Hope this helps!

Defining cold is an excellent question. For me, it's from the mid 40'sF and down.

Dito to what Groundhog246 stated. I use and MR22 Abyss, mid 40's down to about 36°F is my cold range.
I'd recommend the silicone oil envirionmental kit on the first stage though.
Cannot comment on the computer, I use Suunto's.

Mike D

Thanks for the wicked responses guys. I highly doubt I would go anywhere past 40 degrees, so I assume I should be good without any other upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom