Mares MR22 Abyss question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmonk7663

Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, first off I have searched the board alot on the above regulator already. Anyway, I still have a couple of questions. Everything I have read about the regulator has been great except for the weight factor. To those who have used it, how bad is the weight? If I started with this reg do you think it would be bad as I would only know that reg pretty much (aside from rental regs) Secondly, is the non-venturi valve a big deal? Honestly I'm not quite sure what the whole free flow thing is, but I noticed people said the Abyss tended to do this by the surface so any clarification on this would be great. Lastly, is the Mares MR22 Abyss a regulator that can do any type of diving and do it well? I have heard from many that it handles surface and depths equally as well...Is this true? I have also heard tales of a very stiff hose, is this true and does it really get in the way? Are replacements available and what kind of prices do they go for? Lastly, (I promise haha) will this reg hold up to the rigors of cold water well? I have read that it does but I did not see that it was Sealed. Thanks alot for your help and I'm sorry this is such a long post. I like this reg and the Apeks ATX series but I can get the Mares with Manf. Warranty for $280, the Apeks will cost me well over $400 and right now that isn't feasible, especially seeing how everything I have read on the Mares Abyss has been Positive. Thanks everyone.

I can give you our perspective on the Abyss.... we love it. Here is the history: I was OW certified a couple of months ago and my kids certified on vacation in July. The dive operator we used on vacation used the Abyss for all their rental gear. The kids aged 10 and 12, my fiance and I all used it and it performed well. We liked it so much we bought 2 sets when we got home.

As for your questions:
Weight - Although we dont have a lot to compare to we do not find the weight an issue, and neither do the kids.

Stiff hose - yea a bit, it tugs a bit when you look left but not a major issue.

Free Flow - it definitly can free flow at the surface. Just hold a finger to the mouthpiece or hold it mouthpiece down in the water and it stops. It can also free Flow a bit (I think they call it negative pressure flow) when you are done inhaling for that it will continue to flow until it picks up a measurable exhale... again not a problem.

Diving at depth - I am a big air user and can overbreath some regs at about 70 feet. I've had the abyss to 100 feet and didn't feet a bit of difference from breathing at the surface.

Cant speak to cold.

Some people say that you should test as many as possible before buying. For me it was more a case of trying the abyss at 100 feet, knowing for sure it would handle my breathing requirements at depth and was a quality piece of gear that I would trust as my life support.

mrmonk7663:
To those who have used it, how bad is the weight? If I started with this reg do you think it would be bad as I would only know that reg pretty much (aside from rental regs)

I have a number of regs, and to be honest with you, the weight of the Abyss doesn't bother me. It's the reg that I use when teaching class and doing checkouts, and sometimes I have it in my mouth for hours on end.

Secondly, is the non-venturi valve a big deal? Honestly I'm not quite sure what the whole free flow thing is, but I noticed people said the Abyss tended to do this by the surface so any clarification on this would be great.

I have never had the unit free flow on me underwater near the surface or at 110 feet. The only time that it has free flowed on me is when I spit it out during a Rescue Diver class and it hit the purge button on the surface.

Lastly, is the Mares MR22 Abyss a regulator that can do any type of diving and do it well? I have heard from many that it handles surface and depths equally as well...Is this true? I have also heard tales of a very stiff hose, is this true and does it really get in the way? Are replacements available and what kind of prices do they go for? Lastly, (I promise haha) will this reg hold up to the rigors of cold water well? I have read that it does but I did not see that it was Sealed. Thanks alot for your help and I'm sorry this is such a long post. I like this reg and the Apeks ATX series but I can get the Mares with Manf. Warranty for $280, the Apeks will cost me well over $400 and right now that isn't feasible, especially seeing how everything I have read on the Mares Abyss has been Positive. Thanks everyone.

I have had my Abyss for some time and it has dove in fresh water, salt water, water as warm as 89 degrees, water as cold as 38 degrees, as deep as 110 feet. The hose IMHO is not a stiff one, but you can get replacement hoses for it from most anyplace. You can get a cold water kit for it, but mine has NEVER frozen up. One place I go diving all the time is 42 degrees and the Abyss has never had a problem.

I hope this helps...

Randy Cain
PADI OWSI/EFRI/DAN O2 Instructor

The Mares is great for simplicity as it keeps up with the world's best regs without being balanced or having any adjustment knobs. Also, as for your free flow concern, I don't know about you but my reg stays in my mouth until I am on the boat. Now if you are one of those poor souls who prefers shore diving (j/k) you can have yours adjusted at the shop to prevent the problem. Great breather though, deep, dark or cold. I don't use one personally but have set them up numerous times and serviced them. The tube on the side is the venturi assist for the Mares. Better cracking resistance than most....
As for your weight problem, I would try it out and then buy a seacure if you need the extra support.

Thanks alot for the repsonses guys. These are the kind of answers that I needed. This confirms my earlier research that this seems to be a great "all around" regulator. Mavjax, if your kids are doing fine with the reg, I'm sure I can handle the weight too lol. I'm gonna try to try one out here in a week or two. Thanks again for the quick responses and if anyone else has other opinions/comments please feel free to share. Thanks!!

OH, I forgot, what kind of octopus is working well for the Abyss? Thanks.

To those who have used it, how bad is the weight?
I've had my Abyss now for a couple of months and about 7-8 dives and I don't really notice the weight at all. Of course my only prior experience with regs are whatever the LDS happened to rent.

If I started with this reg do you think it would be bad as I would only know that reg pretty much (aside from rental regs)

Jokes about espadrilles and matching Vespas aside, you'll find that almost everybody who's used an Abyss likes it. You can't go wrong buying this as your first reg. I fully expect mine to serve me for many years to come.

Honestly I'm not quite sure what the whole free flow thing is, but I noticed people said the Abyss tended to do this by the surface so any clarification on this would be great.

Free flow means air is leaking out of the reg without you breathing off it or pressing the purge button. I don't notice the Abyss doing surface free-flows any worse than any (rental) reg I've used in the past. The only time it happens to me is when I first take it out of my mouth and let it float on the surface. If I submerge it immediately it doesn't free flow.

Lastly, is the Mares MR22 Abyss a regulator that can do any type of diving and do it well? I have heard from many that it handles surface and depths equally as well...Is this true?

I've taken my Abyss down to 85 feet and 50 degrees and I don't notice any performance difference from the surface. Despite my being an air hog I have never had the feeling that the Abyss wasn't delivering enough air.

I have also heard tales of a very stiff hose, is this true and does it really get in the way? Are replacements available and what kind of prices do they go for?

The hose is stiff but I don't find it to be a problem, but then again it could be due to the fact that I've never owned any other regs, just rentals. Someone posted that the Abyss may use a unique hose setup depending on when it was made, so this question is best answered by your LDS.

I like this reg and the Apeks ATX series but I can get the Mares with Manf. Warranty for $280, the Apeks will cost me well over $400 and right now that isn't feasible,

The Abyss is supposedly being discontinued by Mares and that's why you're seeing good prices on them; my LDS sold them for $249 back in June. But don't think that just because it's discontinued that it's a bad reg, because it's not. I'm sure you wouldn't turn down the opportunity to buy a "discontinued" '04 Porsche if the dealer was only asking $25k for it :eyebrow:

Wow, a great price you got indeed. I'm glad everyone likes this reg. And you are right about the porshe analogy :) I am getting so anxious about all this I can barely stand it :) Thanks for the feedback once again.

OK to add to all the above.....................

If you find the hose is a little stiff, get a seacure mouthpiece, problem solved :wink:

313m.......... yes metres........ World record..............
All the good regs can do this :eyebrow:

If it freeflows on the surface, turn it over, it stops :wink:

Cold water kit is extra, it enviromentally seals the first stage get it done when you by the regs.

Octo........... You can get the Abyss octo, Same reg, only its yellow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or get the Proton Octo?

As mentioned above, you can get the regs fine tuned to siut you.

As for it being discontinued??? A 2004 version has been avalible in europe this year, emails to Mares have gone unanwsered. This is a very popular reg I,d be surprised if Mares would discontiue after the Mark Elliot world record, seems like really bad marketing to me!!!!

That said Mares have invested a great deal in the Proton range, now making a "cheap" version of the Ice, The Proton Metal.

IMHO I think this reg is light :11:

IMHO do you need a adjustable reg? No. At least not for Rec. diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom