Mares MR12 Rover and cold Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this in the Regulator section but found this group and tough it my fit better here.

Hi,

I have a Mares MR12 Rover 1st stage and 2nd stage. It doesn't have a cold water kit on it, since I've not dove in water temp lower than 55F. I spoke to my LSD who sold it to me and said that I need a Cold kit if I wanted to dive in water colder than 50F.

I went to another LDS who speciallized in Mares and he took a look at it and said that I did not need a cold kit on it unless I would dive in sewer water conditions. So my buddy and I were thinking of doing a quick dive this weekend and the water is at 38-40 F. Do I need a cold kit to prevent a free flow, or because of the design of the MR12 with the piston it will not freeflow or the chances are low.

I read online other post and some folks dove with the same reg in 4 C water and never had any issues.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I would seriously consider the cold kit- diaphragm regs are usually pretty good against cold but it you start breathing hard it may well lockup and freeflow.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

I have a Mares MR12 Rover 1st stage and 2nd stage. It doesn't have a cold water kit on it, since I've not dove in water temp lower than 55F. I spoke to my LSD who sold it to me and said that I need a Cold kit if I wanted to dive in water colder than 50F.

So my buddy and I were thinking of doing a quick dive this weekend and the water is at 38-40 F. Do I need a cold kit to prevent a free flow, or because of the design of the MR12 with the piston it will not freeflow or the chances are low.

I'm pretty sure the MR12 is a diaphragm 1st

My bad, you are correct it is a (balanced diaphragm) as you mentioned. I went back to the manual. Now I'm simply deciding if I spend the money on a CWK or spend more and go for the Abyss 22 which is for cold water. No matter what more money....
04.gif

Thanks for your comment.

I've been diving with a MR22 for 17 years and a MR12 before that (still use it on my Pony) Only in cold, ice water, fresh and salty. I'm in Canada. I never had a single freeflow with any of em :D
Never heard about a coldwater kit either !

I had a Mares MR12 that I used to dive in 38f water at 100fsw and never had any ice ups. Can't promise it won't happen of course...

I actually contacted some LDS that specialize in Mares and they all said the samething,you don't need a cold kit. I even contacted a dive shop in Montreal that does Mares and told me the samething don't need a cold kit. Only where I bought it told me I needed it. Why try to sell things to folks who don't really need it. Now I stop buying at that shop and I switch to the LDS who told me I did not need it.

So I went diving in 40F at 60feet, nothing happened. Went for another dive at 44F and everything went well. So bottom line no CWK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom