Mares MR12 Proton Screeching Noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orionnt

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I recently started having problems with my MR12 Proton.

I had the reg serviced in April at the Mares dealer that I purchased the reg from. When I got it back it was working ok except it was free flowing. I took it back and had them adjust it some so that it would no longer Free Flow.

About 2 weeks later I began having problems with the First Stage. It began making a loud screeching noise anytime I do anything that requires it to give me air. If I purge my regs, use my Octo, use my inflater, anything, it screeches at me. Since the shop I originally purchased it from is a 3 hour drive away, I took it to my LDS to have it serviced. My LDS determined that the 1st and 2nd stage needed to be rebuilt because the shop I originally purchased it from apparently had never done so. At this point I believe the issue was resolved.

When I picked up the reg from my LDS, I checked it on one of the tanks, it breathed great, no screeching noises at all. That night, when I got in the pool to assist with a class, it almost immediately began screeching as soon as it got wet. It is an extremely loud screech that is coming from the 1st stage. (We have confirmed this out of the water). The Techs at my LDS are not sure what could be causing the problem, and I am quickly getting fed up with this reg.

It is 3.5 years old at this point and Up until now I have never had any problems with it. After reading through the forums I have noticed that this seams to be a common problem with Mares 1st Stages. Does anybody have any advice on what the problem could be that I could pass along to the Techs at my LDS to hopefully resolve this issue? I will be starting my DM Internship next week and really dont want to have to listen to nails on a chalkboard on every dive.

Thanks

A screeching sound originating from a MR12 first stage is very unusual. If I were servicing the reg, I would replace the poppet spring, HP balancing chamber, and install a tri-material valve. Your description leads me to believe that there is mechanical binding in the motion of the HP valve assembly.

Greg Barlow

I agree with Greg, this would be highly unusual in an MR12. We are certainly willing to have our service tech look at the issue. Your dealer should be able to help with this.

If I can help further please drop me a note.

Best,

Thanks for the Updates, The tech at my local shop is replacing the HP Spring and Valve assembly this week sometime because they believe that is the problem.

Any news on your screeching MR12? Has it been fixed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom