Mares MR12 Proton Metal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CobaltDiver

Reaction score
Has anyone used the new MR 12 Proton Metal? I am in the market for a new regulator to use with a DIR rig. I have been diving the V32 with the Proton XL for several years and truly enjoy all aspects of it. My instructors all dive with Scubapro equipment, but I want to stay with the Mares line. I am trying to decide between the Ice and the Proton Metal. I have seen the Ice and have read many great reviews, but I just can't get past the color scheme. The literature that I have seen on the Proton Metal appears to state that they are basically the same.

Does anyone have any info?

CobaltDiver:
Has anyone used the new MR 12 Proton Metal? I am in the market for a new regulator to use with a DIR rig. I have been diving the V32 with the Proton XL for several years and truly enjoy all aspects of it. My instructors all dive with Scubapro equipment, but I want to stay with the Mares line. I am trying to decide between the Ice and the Proton Metal. I have seen the Ice and have read many great reviews, but I just can't get past the color scheme. The literature that I have seen on the Proton Metal appears to state that they are basically the same.

Does anyone have any info?

The only difference I can see between the metal and the Ice is the color scheme as well.. (BTW, I have an Ice second if anyone wants to swap for a metal second.. :) )

However, if you were to go with the Proton Metal MR12, you be taking a big step down on your first stage. The V32 is a MUCH better first stage than the MR12. Personally, I'd stay with what you have now, unless you are really itching for a all-metal second stage. If you do get the MR12 Proton Metal, I would swap out the MR12 for your current V32. If you need a second high-performance reg, I'd pony up the funds for the V16 version of the Proton metal.

PurduEE:
The only difference I can see between the metal and the Ice is the color scheme as well.. (BTW, I have an Ice second if anyone wants to swap for a metal second.. :) )

However, if you were to go with the Proton Metal MR12, you be taking a big step down on your first stage. The V32 is a MUCH better first stage than the MR12. Personally, I'd stay with what you have now, unless you are really itching for a all-metal second stage. If you do get the MR12 Proton Metal, I would swap out the MR12 for your current V32. If you need a second high-performance reg, I'd pony up the funds for the V16 version of the Proton metal.

I would agree with this. The MR12 is a good first stage and has been around since water was first created, but the V32 first stage is an EXCELLENT first stage. The V32 was based on the MR22 first stage that has been in use for many years powering the Abyss second stage.

I have a MR12 Proton setup for students. It breathes good and is easy to repair and do maintenance on. I also have a V16 Orbiter setup for students as well. It was my first reg setup. I have put the Proton second stage on the V16 first stage and it is a nice package.

What do I dive with now you may be asking? I am now the proud owner of a Mares Abyss setup with a Proton alternate.

Save the money and get the V16 Proton setup.

Randy

The Proton Metal and the Proton Ice are the same second stage as noted in other posts. The MR12 does not use the spherical core seal system that the V32 and V16 utilize. Mares did offer the SCS in the 12 series around five years ago, but it was discontinued after a couple of years. The SCS system is superior to the MR12 design, and the 16/22/32 series have greater flow potential.

My recommendation is to go with the V16 Proton Metal. The hose routing is excellent, and it works well with in a Hogarthian configuration. I use a standard V16 Proton (polymer) for one of my long hose rigs. I do not use the cold water kit on the first stage and see no reason to do so. Mine has been in water as cold was 35 degrees and has never once failed me. I would recommend that you puchase Halcyon hoses. They are extremely flexible, have flared hose fittings, and are negatively buoyant. I use a 7' primary, 22" back-up, and standard length HP hose. My long torso doesn't work well with the 24" version.

I own several MR12 first stages and have had great service from them. I continue to use them for stage/deco cylinders, and for some recreational rigs. The hose routing is a bit of a problem. I would also recommend that you contact Larry at www.scubatoys.com. Their shop has some excellent prices, and they offer warranty cards. While Leisure Pro can match or beat their prices, they don't offer factory warranties due to their purchasing methods.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I am actually going to take the second stage Proton metal and a use it on a 5' long hose(Halcyon) and use my current V32 first stage. I will probably us a Proton second stage as my alternate. I am going to use the new first stage with my Proton XL and Proton Octo for a teaching rig with my current vest style BC. I probably will get a V16 instead of the MR12. I forgot that that is what my wife uses and I agree it is a great reg. I am trying to set-up a tech rig. I just purchased a metal backplate and Halcyon Eclypse. I am glad to here someone that uses the Mares for a tech rig. Thanks for the info Greg.

Back
Top Bottom