Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just completed my first "dive" with this semi-dry. There was a screaming deal on it and I just could not refuse. The dive was snorkeling with manatees at Crystal River, FL. Water temp was 65 in the river to 72 in the springs. Air temp was 29 degrees at the beginning, about 40 by the end.

Before the "review" just a few words on the quality of the suit. Actually one word, amazing. It is 6.5 mil flexible neoprene, the stitching is superb. There are double skin seals at the ankles and wrists--an inner skin seal and also skin on the inside of the outer sleeve. In addition, just above those seals, there is a skin seal "collar" in each leg and arm that, when you put the suit on, gives yet another seal. If you add gloves and boots, I do not see any way water can flush through this suit, or even get in very far at all. There is plush material at the core chest and back areas. There are short zips at the ankles and wrists. The zipper is across the back (yes, you do need a buddy to zip and unzip, but I might try rigging up a leash). The neck is soft neoprene with a skin seal that comes up, and mates with the skin seal on the neck of the full 6.5mm dry hood (included with the suit). The thing reeks quality and I expect it will last many, many years. No wonder they cost 600 new, and I believe worth every cent.

Donning was surprisingly easy. Unzip the ankles and wrists. Legs slid in easily, suit fit extremely well, very easy to don. Arms went in easily. Had to push pretty hard to get the head through, but once in the neck was snug/tight but not uncomfortable. at the wrists and ankles, turn under about 1" of the inner skin seal so it is against your skin. Then zip the sleeves, and the inside of the outer sleeve also has a skin seal, for double protection (triple, with that collar above the seal area). Hood fit well and tight to the neck seal.

Zipper is brand new and was a little tough even tho I had lubed it. After my buddy zipped it, it seemed to bind the arms a little, but some squats and stretches soon loosened up the feel. The zipper has a full inner neoprene protective material 4" wide so the zipper does not touch or pinch the skin.

This dive was to be without gloves or boots, with lots of swimming, so it had the max potential for water intrusion in the arms and legs.

Now, for the dive. The suit feels great in the water. For such a thick suit it is very flexible and easy to do all sorts of flutter, frog, helicopter and back kicks. The feeling that the back zip would bind the arms was an illusion, as I had full flexibility for swimming and shooting photos with my big rig A little water came up the arms and ankles, but only to the "collar" (ie, mid-forearm and mid-calf). It did not flush through and was trapped by the skin seals. NO and I mean no, other water came in. The back zipper was watertight, completely. So was the hood and the neck seal. With gloves and boots, this suit would be really dry!

1.5 hours in, 65 to 72 degrees, still toasty warm. Getting out into 35 degree air, still surprisingly warm, as no water had gotten to my upper legs or arms, or my core. Put on dive parka and went to next site. One more hour in the water. Warm as toast. I could have easily gone another hour or more in these condtions, even after 2.5 hours already.

Doffing was about like donning. A little struggle to get the head through. Buddy needed for unzip, but the zipper action once wet was much easier. Then, just peel it off like a regular wetsuit.

This is, without doubt, the best suit I have seen. Fits like a glove, swims like a wetsuit, not bulky or binding in any way, warm and, yes, dry inside where it counts. Add boots and gloves and I think this suit would do very well even in water 15 degrees cooler (ie 50 degrees). Looks like I am set for the California kelp this summer!

I heard Mares is discontinuing these and that is why the screaming deals. If so, that is a shame as this is one fine product.

I have no affiliation with Mares or anyone else except to throw my hard-earned money at them. In this case, it was $200 for performance approaching that of a drysuit, but no hassle, gear or training needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom