Mares Icon HD Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brettj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all i,m new on here, just trying to get info on this issue of battery with the Mares HD, i bought a new one in 2016 great for awhile then started to drop charge with out warning from 100% to very low in minutes, sent it back eventually i got a new replacement in march 2017 been fine until this week. Dived last weekend one dive on Sunday came out computer was 88% decided to dive yesterday (Friday) got computer out dead and it had changed the time and date when i eventually got the charge into it. I have asked around and it seems this is an issue and potentially serious do mares know about it? Will be getting in touch again after holidays to see what they say, last time it was the battery but i think its the electronics. Also i have the older model and yesterday got it out to use as new one was charging, this had been charged about 3 weeks ago and still had 80% quick charge and good to go, so anyone else getting these issue as i,m thinking this should be a recall as they are potentially dangerous. Any thoughts please?

First, when the battery goes dead (or almost) it's a bit unreasonable to expect it to hold the date and time correctly. This is common to many battery dependant devices. For example, my trailcam loses the date and reverts to the default (1-1-2015) when the battery gets low. Still takes pictures just fine but the date stamp is wrong. I'm not aware of any time when my Icon changed the date when it was reasonably charged.

Second, just because the date may be incorrect doesn't make it dangerous when it has a reasonable charge. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Third, before using any dive computer I routienly check the settings and charge level. It's one of the things you do if you are conciencious. Like taking a breath from your primary 2nd stage while watching your SPG before splashing.

First it is not normal for the battery to completely discharge in a few days.

Second i have another older model of this and this dosent loose charge or randomly change date, i also have other devices with set dates and time that do not lose date when battery is low.

Third i do check my computer before a dive that how i know it was dead.

Fourth, for your information this computer is an exchange for one that had the same problem, i exchanged that because it was fully charged on my wrist getting in for a dive submerged a few feet checked computer it was dead.

Fifth i thought i would join this forum to get some feed back off people how may have similar problems, not i dive lesson also i am an instructor so do know about checking stuff.

Sixth if you haven't got a decent comment do not make any.

Kind regards

I typically fully charge my computer after diving and leave it charging for most of the year because I'm trying to dive weekly. During the winter I will charge it once a month to keep the battery healthy.

In your situation the computer was still calculating your off gassing hours after your last dive at 88%. While a week later seems rather fast to be dead, is it possible your transmitter was pressurized for some time after diving? That whole time your tx would have been working and communicating with the computer.

IME, Mares is very prompt and receptive to answering tickets. If you didn't want to replace the battery yourself, I'd send them a message.

Last edited:
Added to ignore.

I typically fully charge my computer after diving and leave it charging for most of the year because I'm trying to dive weekly. During the winter I will charge it once a month to keep the battery healthy.

In your situation the computer was still calculating your off gassing hours after your last dive at 88%. While a week later seems rather fast to be dead, is it possible your transmitter was pressurized for some time after diving? That whole time your tx would have been working and communicating with the computer.

IME, Mares is very prompt and receptive to answering tickets. If you didn't want to replace the battery yourself, I'd send them a message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom