Mares Icon HD Black Net Ready.....uh oh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chip let me chime in. I am glad to hear with the ICON HD.. It is a great computer and as the other two guys (hi guys) on this thread have said, Mares stands behind this computer and have resolved every issue I have had for me. They came up big for me as well in their customer service and doing the right thing. Good luck moving forward with it.

Thankyou Naboo. I am awaiting my new unit.

Hi guys, I bought an ICON HD about 9 months ago and loved it but the the battery went dead after 3 months and then my problems started :) I live in the Philippines but bought the unit in the US. Mares have a shop here near where I live (a real Mares shop not a dealer). The shop could do nothing except send it to their workshop in Manila who confirmed the battery needed replacement but they have no batteries in the country! That was at the end of June now at the beginning of December they still have my unit and no battery. Apparently they have to wait for the next bulk shipment of product from Mares to Mares Philippines. I have to say the local management and staff have been very polite and as helpful as possible but I still don't have my unit back :-( When I first started diving here my instructor said to me always buy a computer with a user replaceable battery, wise words indeed. Luckily my 7 year old Cressi is still going strong so I have something to use.

@Smithmike, I'm pretty sure the battery is just an 18650 with a soldered wire connector. I'll bet you could find a match with an equal or better mAh rating, unsolder the wire off the old battery and solder it on the new battery and cover the connections.

There's really nothing special to the battery, per se.

Thanks for the advice, and yes I could try that but getting into it is difficult and I don't know if the chamber is oil filled. However the real reason for not trying to "DIY" is that I didn't want to invalidate the warranty.

@Smithmike I find your post interesting. I took my Mares into my LDS on November 3rd. It is now December 1st and I am still waiting as well. I did not have it for my checkout dives, nor do I have it yet. I am concerned that if such a long wait time is a common scenario? I am supposedly getting a new unit.

Got mine back yesterday (December 1) and all seems right with it so far! :) Very happy to have it back.

I felt I should add to this post to maybe help others. I too had a red light in the bottom right of the display and the unit would never take a charge. I then moved the charging clip very gently from side to side and once it made good contact, the display immediately showed it was charging. I then played with the. Lip to better understand the red light issue and I discovered it must be an indication that the clip is not yet correctly positioned. Each time I replicated a blank screen with just the red light on the bottom right, as soon as I slid the clip slightly to one side or the other, it would immediately show charging in the display.

I can see this being a problem if the battery is completely drained as the manual states it could take up to 20 minutes to get enough charge to respond, but I do believe if you see the red light, the clip is not yet properly positioned.

I hope this helps.

Similar issue. I would leave my icon plugged into the power supply whenever I wasn't using it, and that way it would always be fully charged and ready whenever I needed it. Was working fine a couple of weeks ago.

Last night I went to check it, and ... dead. Nothing but the lower right LED flashing red intermittently (of course the manual doesn't discuss this at all). Pin connector properly seated, USB cable securely hooked up at both ends. Tried wiggling the connector and detaching then re-attaching. Nope.

Back
Top Bottom