Mares Epos compared to newer Mares second stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MakoMermaid

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy my own gear and have a question for anyone experienced with Mares second stages. Of the regulators I've tried so far, my favorite is the discontinued Mares Epos, primarily because the metal inserts seem to prevent that "cotton mouth" feeling on dives. Anyone know whether any of the current Mares second stages are a close match? Would the Proton Metal or Proton Ice have a similar effect?

I don't think that the current models match this as Metal second stages are becoming increasingly uncommon. I do not want to stray you from your original intent of a Mares but the sherwood regulators (oasis, blizzard and Maximus) all have moisture rentantion fins that do the same job. www.sherwoodscuba.com/regulators

MakoMermaid:
I'm getting ready to buy my own gear and have a question for anyone experienced with Mares second stages. Of the regulators I've tried so far, my favorite is the discontinued Mares Epos, primarily because the metal inserts seem to prevent that "cotton mouth" feeling on dives. Anyone know whether any of the current Mares second stages are a close match? Would the Proton Metal or Proton Ice have a similar effect?

The metal bodied Proton models are even more effective than the inserts of the Akros/Epos. BTW, I use two Akros second stages on my doubles. They have logged many dives in water below 45 degrees, and have never had a single problem.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom