Wanted Mares Dual 15X X15 First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCcowgirl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ISO Mares Dual 15X first stage only. Every shop showing it that I can see online only offers the first stage and second stage together as a package deal. Just looking for a lighter, less bulky first stage that will bring down the total gear weight in my suitcase! If you have one to sell please let me know.

Thanks!!

You problem might be your search term. The Dual is the name of the 2nd stage. The 1st stage is simply named 15X (the X refers to the current ACT high pressure poppet Mares is using).

A google search for "Mares 15X first stage" provided the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Mares-First-Stage-Regulator-15X/dp/B00SW9SRUQ

-Z

You problem might be your search term. The Dual is the name of the 2nd stage. The 1st stage is simply named 15X (the X refers to the current ACT high pressure poppet Mares is using).

A google search for "Mares 15X first stage" provided the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Mares-First-Stage-Regulator-15X/dp/B00SW9SRUQ

-Z
Well, I feel silly. Should have put 2 + 2 together but just assumed that was the name for the system as a whole. Thank you for the very helpful link!

I would still be interested in case someone has one in good condition that they are looking to sell.

Here are some specs on Mares 1st stages:

15X DIN: 598 grams
15X INT: 772 grams

22X DIN: 685 grams
22X INT: 850 grams

52X DIN: 513 grams
52X INT: 687 grams

The weight difference between these 1st stages is fairly negligible, even for airline travel. All 3 above will perform relatively the same...the major difference is the layout of the ports. I recommend widening your search and go with whichever you can find that most fits your budget.

To better search, I recommend using the following iterations for each model listed above:

15X
Mares 15X
MR15
Mares MR15

MR is/was the Mares designation for their diaphragm type 1st stages.

You may find that among the 3 models listed above that the MR22 has higher availability on the used market as Mares has produced it for a very long time. It underwent a cosmetic redesign back around 2008. Here are pictures of the older version and the newer version for your situational awareness:

Older version:
upload_2021-6-1_1-49-32.jpeg

Newer version:
upload_2021-6-1_1-50-17.jpeg

-Z

Here are some specs on Mares 1st stages:

15X DIN: 598 grams
15X INT: 772 grams

22X DIN: 685 grams
22X INT: 850 grams

52X DIN: 513 grams
52X INT: 687 grams

The weight difference between these 1st stages is fairly negligible, even for airline travel. All 3 above will perform relatively the same...the major difference is the layout of the ports. I recommend widening your search and go with whichever you can find that most fits your budget.

To better search, I recommend using the following iterations for each model listed above:

15X
Mares 15X
MR15
Mares MR15

MR is/was the Mares designation for their diaphragm type 1st stages.

You may find that among the 3 models listed above that the MR22 has higher availability on the used market as Mares has produced it for a very long time. It underwent a cosmetic redesign back around 2008. Here are pictures of the older version and the newer version for your situational awareness:

Older version:
View attachment 662465
Newer version:
View attachment 662466

-Z

Great info, thanks again! I have to say that I don't love the look of the layout on the 22x. I think the 15x makes the most sense, and the price for the first stage on Amazon is not bad at all.

Great info, thanks again! I have to say that I don't love the look of the layout on the 22x. I think the 15x makes the most sense, and the price for the first stage on Amazon is not bad at all.

I am the total opposite...I prefer the port layout on the MR22. The LP ports are relatively the same between the 22 and the 15, the major difference are the HP ports. I dive with a wireless air transmitter on a short house but still have an SPG attached as well. The hose routing of the ports works for me but I recognize others have other needs/wants/preferences.

One advantage of the MR15 over the MR22 is that the primary 2nd stage port is 1/2-inch threading, the other 3 LP ports are the more ubiquitous 3/8-inch threading...the MR15x has all 4 LP ports threaded as 3/8-inch, which means one does not need to hunt down a 1/2-inch threaded replacement hose or use an adapter if/when the time comes to replace a hose.

I have little you doubt you will be very pleased with the performance of whichever you choose.

Happy bubbles,
-Z

I am the total opposite...I prefer the port layout on the MR22. The LP ports are relatively the same between the 22 and the 15, the major difference are the HP ports. I dive with a wireless air transmitter on a short house but still have an SPG attached as well. The hose routing of the ports works for me but I recognize others have other needs/wants/preferences.

One advantage of the MR15 over the MR22 is that the primary 2nd stage port is 1/2-inch threading, the other 3 LP ports are the more ubiquitous 3/8-inch threading...the MR15x has all 4 LP ports threaded as 3/8-inch, which means one does not need to hunt down a 1/2-inch threaded replacement hose or use an adapter if/when the time comes to replace a hose.

I have little you doubt you will be very pleased with the performance of whichever you choose.

Happy bubbles,
-Z

Ah see I am not a fan of the wireless transmitters - have seen too many get broken, not to mention being inaccurate etc. Good point about the consideration of sizes, will keep that in mind. I'm sure it will work for general travel diving; I'm no longer actually working as an instructor, so it's not like I will be using it every day.

Back
Top Bottom