Mares Dragon AT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

projekts

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi there
Have an old Mares Dragon AT that was kept in the storage for the past 5 years. Just took it out and sent for servicing and the service center in Singapore (where i am residing in) opened everything up, and claimed that some parts of the air trim system is corroded and no spare parts is available. They charged a sum of "service fee" for opening up the BCD and refused to assemble it back unless I pay more to get it assembled back. I feel that they just wanted me to purchase a new one from them.

These are the parts that are corroded:
http://www.flowerchildprojekts.com/Upload/photo2.JPG
http://www.flowerchildprojekts.com/Upload/photo3.JPG
http://www.flowerchildprojekts.com/Upload/photo4.JPG
http://www.flowerchildprojekts.com/Upload/photo5.JPG

Photo2 can be cleaned easily because no physical damage to the parts, but for Photo3 and Photo4 (which are the same parts), it doesn't really look good. Will need a replacement for sure.

My question is does anyone know where i can get the spare parts for these? The main BCD is still is great condition so it will be a shame that it has to be deposed of because of this issue. Would be great if anyone can direct me to any website that i can download the repair manual for this too, so that I can fix it back myself instead of going back to that lousy service centre.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Allan from Singapore

Private message sent

Zac,
I would like to know how to properly washout/clean the Dragon AT BCD, I recently bought one (I love it dearly!). It doesn't seem to have access internally to flush it out like standard style inflator hosed BCD, I have been dunking it in freshwater, and hanging it up to dry.
Is there an official method to wash up the Dragon AT???
Which will stop mine looking like projekts in 5 years time(have a friend who has a 15year old US Divers bcd, still working fine, but not as slick to use as my Dragon!).
I am a tad' of mares fanboy to say the lest, having a carbon 42 reg, occy, wetsuit, fins, mask the works-I look rather "dapper" in the red silver and black!
:crafty:
Ciao,
Damo'

I also have some worries about the internals rusting of the AT components, and am not sure how to prevent this completely, as the pictures look like water rusting, not salt rusting...

On cleaning:

I recently bought the Mares Dragon AT and have been diving with it, and am very, very happy with the BCD.

Like you, I looked for info on how to clean it properly, since this is quite important as I'm diving in salt water, and my dives are not very frequent until July

Anyway, to cut a long story short, what you can do is:

Unscrew the top of the shoulder emergency dump valve and fill the BCD with some clean water.
Then either recap the dump valve and shake the water around a bit, unscrew the valve again, and let the water out by holding the BCD upside down so that the dump valve is the lowest part of the BCD, or you can let the water run out by just pulling the dump cord.

You can then let the BCD dry (I let it dry with the dump valve unscrewed if I'm not going to use it for a longer period of time, so that the inside can dry thoroughly.)

Z

I have the non AT Dragon and use the large rear dump valve to wash the inside. I unscrew the dump valve, put some water in, replace the dump, swish it around then use the dump valve to empty the water

I also have some worries about the internals rusting of the AT components, and am not sure how to prevent this completely, as the pictures look like water rusting, not salt rusting...

On cleaning:

I recently bought the Mares Dragon AT and have been diving with it, and am very, very happy with the BCD.

Like you, I looked for info on how to clean it properly, since this is quite important as I'm diving in salt water, and my dives are not very frequent until July

Anyway, to cut a long story short, what you can do is:

Unscrew the top of the shoulder emergency dump valve and fill the BCD with some clean water.
Then either recap the dump valve and shake the water around a bit, unscrew the valve again, and let the water out by holding the BCD upside down so that the dump valve is the lowest part of the BCD, or you can let the water run out by just pulling the dump cord.

You can then let the BCD dry (I let it dry with the dump valve unscrewed if I'm not going to use it for a longer period of time, so that the inside can dry thoroughly.)

Z

Lets hope, projekt was just a lazy person, who didn't clean it properly!
:cool2:
They look to be black annodized???? wonder if you could self service them.

I have the non AT Dragon and use the large rear dump valve to wash the inside. I unscrew the dump valve, put some water in, replace the dump, swish it around then use the dump valve to empty the water

Yes, you don't have those parts that have corroded in Projekts BCD, yours is the old simple hose, do you have a lower dump valve on that BCD?
I hope I don't later regret not buy the same as you, I always like the new tech stuff. If I got 10 years out of it, caring for it properly, I would be content.

Yes, you don't have those parts that have corroded in Projekts BCD, yours is the old simple hose, do you have a lower dump valve on that BCD?
I hope I don't later regret not buy the same as you, I always like the new tech stuff. If I got 10 years out of it, caring for it properly, I would be content.

Yeah its got an upper and lower large dump valve on the right side.

Ghanguss, is the lower valve controllable?
do you use the dump valve to descend head first?

When you say controllable? Its not easy to make fine adjustments with it, but I do use it a fair bit.
I normally use the shoulder dump when descending. But once sinking I turn to head down position.
Mainly use the lower dump mid dive when I swim up and become a bit positive and find myself head down kicking to maintain level. Its easy to reach behind and let some out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom