Mares Axis Pro free flow problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages:
Thanks for all the info. Talked to joe at ScubaToys and they are going in for their services tomorrow
How long will you be holding your breath?

For exactly this reason I need to purchase some additional regs.......

P.S. thanks to all the techie types that answered her question. I just learned a lot. :crafty: Now the question is if I remember it.......

I know, I know, it's going to kill me to have to be dry for a bit over a week.

Additional regs are next on the list. Maybe I'll ask for them for Christmas or anniversary presents. :D

By the way Penny have you talked to Joe or Larry about their wedding registry service, I think you should get commission for that kind of goldmine of a suggestion. :D

Joe tells me the regs should be back out to us within four or five days. They haven't lied to us yet.

Mrs.Prages:
Joe tells me the regs should be back out to us within four or five days. They haven't lied to us yet.

Better to be without them from July 27-August 3 than August 27-Sept 3. :)

Plus, that gives us a good excuse to make another trip before Key Largo...you know, just to make sure they are working properly. :D

yep. you'll have to come see us again!!

This reg has a known issue that has to do with the fact that it has a teflon crown instead of a good old brass crown. The edge of the crown tends to wear down and will start to let air by. Last time I checked, Mares had come up with a replacement part that was brass - have them install that instead of another teflon crown.

Thank you Chris. I will be sure to mention that when I send them in.

Paula

took mine in yesterday & mentioned the suggestions in this thread. we'll see what they say. no grief about buying them in florida, thank god! i'd hate to go into sista mode and so would they.

they just called, all fixed. he said the second had slipped out of adjustment a bit, but it was clean and didn't have salt or crud issues and it was the 2nd not the 1st (at least this time), so all he had to do was adjust. yay!

I've been rebuilding Mares regs for several years, and find that if you adjust the second stage just to the point where the lever will "click" when lightly shook it is almost always the proper position. I adjust the lever where it doesn't click, and then slowly turn the adjustment nut counter clockwise until the proper setting is achieved. You must be patient as the difference between too tight and just right is typically no more than the difference between 11:00 and 12:00. I then adjust it once more with slight turning to ensure that it is correct. BTW, the reg must be pressurized with a correctly adjusted first stage while making this adjustment.

Checking these on the bench typically shows a cracking effort of 1.0-1.5", which considering the case fault geometry, is about the best that most second stages can offer without slight free flows in the normal swimming position.

This method of "lever clicking" is also suggested by Mares. The metal second stages without the access port are a bit more time cosuming. I typically adjust them by gauging the motion of the purge button rather than the tapping method. If anyone needs more specifics on these models let me know.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom