Mares Airtrim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello
I am thinking abuot buying a Mares BC whith Airtrim.
Does anyone of you have any experience whith this system.
Is it reliable or just one of those gimmiks that come and go? I like the Idea of not having to juggle the air in the Bc to one of the valves when taking Fotos and Filming.
But i am not shore about it.
Please help.
MIchael

It's a great system... if my bank account wasn't tapped I'd be buying one already. There are a "few" people around here that use them and like it. The concept seems great to me and I will surely buy the dragon fly.

The concept of the inflater/deflater always being in the same place is nice.. furthermore, if you go with the dragon fly you get a "hybrid" system in that it's partial back inflation and partial vest inflation... or the Diamante which is just vest style...

quite honestly though they are a bit on the bulky side.. but if the fit is right.. go for it..

fit is the number one thing to think about though, if it does not fit right out of the water you'll grow to hate it underwater.... and for taking photos the bulkyness may not suit your needs very well...

Check it out at least....

:D

Good Luck

I'm one of the "few" wheezy mentions. The airtrim does not do away with knowing how to vent your bc. It has it's own quirks, mostly to do with the bc bag design than the airtrim itself. Because of the semi-wing design, some air-trapping can occur that requires you to juggle your body a bit to get it to vent. Not a big deal, just something you end up learning. These are comments about the dragonfly, btw. Perhaps the Dacor bc that uses the airtrim, not having a semi-wing, might be better in this regard. As for the airtrim itself, as wheezy says, it's nice having it always in the same position.

-Simon

I have the Dragon Fly Airtrim and like it alot. It has nice big pockets and the fit is really good. The controls are sweet and I am very happy with the Airtrim system

Thanks for the input, I have had a chance to try a Dragonfly Airtrim, and a Vector pro, and the decision was not easy, but i went for the Vector pro. I find positionig in the Water was easer whith the Vector and it fitted me better. I had about 6 dives whith it up to now and it is now my favorite BC from zhe ones I own.

Michael

I was curious to know how the Mares Dragonfly performed as an intro tech BC? I know many people recommend the Halcyon, OMS & Dive Rite BC's, but I'm specifically asking about the Dragonfly model.

Specifically, can it handle two-tank setups? (smaller tanks) I've looked at the specs on the mares website and it says it can, but I wasn't sure if this was just a spec, and whether it was really feasible or not.

I'm currently an OW, getting my AOW interested in persuing wreck, & cavern diving. The Dragonfly appealed to me in the consistent location of the inflator/deflator, and dual wing/jacket design. What is the actual lift capacity?

Thanks!

flounderUVA -- While I don't have an answer to your question about the Mares Dragonfly able to carry you through intro Tech diving, I did want to say H O W D Y ! ! ! and welcome to the ScubaSource Network family.

We look forward to your long participation in our discussions and hope you can join us on one of our Netptune Divers club dives.

Again, WELCOME!

--TexasMike

The Mares Dragonfly is not a tech BC.
Tech BC are modular and can be adapted to many tech dive profiles.
A tech BC has also a bigger volume and is fully dorsal to give you 100% freedom " in the front "
Back volume or semi beck BC = not technical BC

About the air trim, very goo idea (Mares innovation technology )
just be sure the people you are diving with know how to use it...in case of need.

Fa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom