Mares Abyss vs Proton Ice, second stages.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering either the Abyss second stage or the Proton Ice second for my MR22 Abyss octo.

I like to hear some input from those who have used either one of these. Since they have no venturi adjustment, have freeflows been an issue? Is it necessary to de-tune it somewhat in order to prevent freeflows? Does this result in noticeably diminished breathing performance?

The Proton is half an once lighter and can be disassembled without tools. Any other reasons why some prefer one over the other. Another choice?

Scuba:
I am considering either the Abyss second stage or the Proton Ice second for my MR22 Abyss octo.

I like to hear some input from those who have used either one of these. Since they have no venturi adjustment, have freeflows been an issue? Is it necessary to de-tune it somewhat in order to prevent freeflows? Does this result in noticeably diminished breathing performance?

The Proton is half an once lighter and can be disassembled without tools. Any other reasons why some prefer one over the other. Another choice?

Good Morning!

I have an MR22 Abyss with a Proton Octo on one of my reg setups. Both are quite good regulators, and you would not be unhappy with either one.

When I first got my Proton, it had a tendency to freeflow at the surface when the mouthpiece was facing up. I took it back and the tech adjusted it ever so slightly and it doesn't do it anymore. The Abyss has only freeflowed on me 1 time, and that was during a Rescue Class when it was dropped directly on the water with the mouthpiece up.

Both breathe remarkably well in all water depths and temps. Some say that the Abyss is too heavy, but not in my opinion. I would recommend that you go try it out in a pool or better yet in some real world dives.

Hope this helps....

Randy Cain

I have a proton ice and I have never had a freeflow. I did have it pre-tuned right out of the box. I thought it was weird at first not having an adjustment knob, but after watching my dive buddy mess with his all the time, i haven't missed mine. (it breathes so easy,it dosn't need the knob) good diving!!!

Thank you for the input. Seems free flow is not much of an issue for the octo/backup second without a venturi adjustment. I'll probably end up getting another Abyss second stage, since I know it well as my main second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom