Mares Abyss Shallow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevetim

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all.

I've recently made a couple of 15'-25' dives with a new Mares Abyss Metal Regulator setup on AL80's starting 3000psi. I live and dive in the Florida waters which have recently been around 87 degrees. I have noticed that there is a very slight wheeze and pull from these depths when I get near the end of an inhale breath. Does anyone else dive this set at the same depth and get the same result. My LDS says the Abyss loves to go to 60' for max performance.

Any comment or input would help. Thanks.

Couple hundred dives on the Abyss in various conditions (tropical to great lakes in the winter) and no wheezing or pulling here regardless of the condition or depth.

I had the same issue, I brought to my LDS and he tweak the psi. My reg was running hi.

Did you know that if you own an older Dacor regulator you can trade up for a new Mares Abyss ...... after many years of having problems with finding parts for older Dacor regs they have come up with a new program to trade in those "dead horses" for new Mares/Dacor models ...... there are 4 models advailiable (including their top-of-the-line Abyss model) to find out more go to www.scubaboard.com/t110024-.html for more information

ScubaMarc:
I had the same issue, I brought to my LDS and he tweak the psi. My reg was running hi.
Thanks for the help. I took mine back to my shop, had them tune, but wasn't 100% happy with the breathing off of it. I exchanged for the Proton ICE and we'll see how that works for me.

Sounds like it just needed to be adjusted. It should work just fine below 60'. A good tech would be able to tune it with no trouble.

stevetim:
Thanks for the help. I took mine back to my shop, had them tune, but wasn't 100% happy with the breathing off of it. I exchanged for the Proton ICE and we'll see how that works for me.

Sorry to hear that. I believe the Abyss is a better reg. The Proton is a smaller reg requiring more effort to breath. Due to it's size it also has issues with bubble interference. While not a bad reg, I believe the Abyss is superior, IMO.

Viscya:
Sorry to hear that. I believe the Abyss is a better reg. The Proton is a smaller reg requiring more effort to breath. Due to it's size it also has issues with bubble interference. While not a bad reg, I believe the Abyss is superior, IMO.
Ya, that could be, but my confidence was shaken with the Abyss after such a minor problem. I just don't want to be at depth and have that little issue creeping in the back of my mind. It's my obsessive compulsive disorder :D .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom