Mares Abyss 22 Extreme vs non-Extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kostyan5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I posted this message in the regulator forum and then I found this forum. I think it's much better suited here. I apologize for the duplicate if you came across both.

I'm looking to purchase a Mares Abyss 22 regulator such as shown here (Mares Abyss 22 Regulator). This one costs $480.

At the same time I found Mares Abyss 22 Extreme on sale (Mares Abyss 22 Extreme Regulator) for $450.

I understand that Mares Abyss 22 Extreme is no longer produced and that is why it's 50% off. My question is, for anyone familiar with this, is there a reason I would want to pick a regular Mares Abyss 22 over the Extreme version. People at scubatoys.com told me there's nothing about the Abyss 22 that's an improvement over the Extreme.

Thanks,

K

Hi Kay, Good question. Both are the same regulator except the extreme has an extra techno-flouroplymer coating. ultimimately this minimizes opportunity for ice crystals to form and collect on the 2nd stage. Due to this, it makes the Extreme an incredible regulator for both warm and cold water enviornments. It also appears from the picture in first link, the abyss 22 is using the older first stage opposed to the extreme which is using the more current version of MR22 1st stage. The only difference is the more current version is slimmed down and weighs approx 30% less. It could be the image being used is just that. You may want to clarify if that is the direction you go.

I hope this helps.

Zak

Back
Top Bottom