Mares 2nd stage ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Creed

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Mares 2nd stage that I got in some parts that I can't identify. Does someone recognize this model?

I believe that it may be the older R2, or Axis octo. I have serviced them on setups. Easy simple design. Good enough for an octo or stage bottle.

rescuediver009:
I believe that it may be the older R2, or Axis octo. I have serviced them on setups. Easy simple design. Good enough for an octo or stage bottle.

What parts kit do they take?

All you need is a Mares LP seat (if it has already been flipped) and a bunch of o-rings. (2xR014, 1xR011, 1xR013) and that is it.

rescuediver009:
All you need is a Mares LP seat (if it has already been flipped) and a bunch of o-rings. (2xR014, 1xR011, 1xR013) and that is it.

Would those be equivalent to a 2-014 E70 from air-oil.com?

Creed:
Would those be equivalent to a 2-014 E70 from air-oil.com?
Yep. What are you going to do with the other 32 of them though. It may be alot easier and less complicated to get one of those little o-ring kits from the LDS as the 014 size is also the tank face o-ring and it is very common. Whatever works though.

rescuediver009:
Yep. What are you going to do with the other 32 of them though. It may be alot easier and less complicated to get one of those little o-ring kits from the LDS as the 014 size is also the tank face o-ring and it is very common. Whatever works though.

At their prices, I don't think I mind buying that many. Remember, I live smack dab in the middle of Kansas. The closest DS is about 100 miles away, so it would be more expensive to drive over and buy a kit than to order the super-sized set from air-oil. Plus, I would have a full stock of o-rings for my kit, and could give the rest out as party favors. :wink:

Do you use Christolube on your rebuilds for this type of 2nd?

Creed:
I have a Mares 2nd stage that I got in some parts that I can't identify. Does someone recognize this model?

That's a Beta second stage.

neil:
That's a Beta second stage.

Yep, it's a Beta. It was the lower end model back when the MR12 IV was in the lineup. The design was overly complicated and didn't last too long. They are a pain to rebuild, and don't offer the flow characteristics of the later models. I do have the service manuals if you need one.

The Axis is much better and is low in cost.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
Yep, it's a Beta. It was the lower end model back when the MR12 IV was in the lineup. The design was overly complicated and didn't last too long. They are a pain to rebuild, and don't offer the flow characteristics of the later models. I do have the service manuals if you need one.

The Axis is much better and is low in cost.

Greg

So, is it worth bothering with, in terms of servicing? I was going to use it as an octo.

Back
Top Bottom