March or June 2012 for Trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tt5five

Registered
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Ambergris Caye to dive a couple of days (probably 2 days of 2 tank dives) and then going back to the mainland to rent a car and do some of the other activities, probably ATM cave and some ruins. We are newer divers (15 dives) with 2 teenagers (15 & 17), so we stick to shallow dives of 60 or less. Thinking the reefs and shark/ray alley by the cayes would be good for this and then head back to the mainland for the other. So, my question to those with experience in Belize, would you go in March (spring break) or June (summer vacation). I can go either time, but was just trying to see if one would have big advantages over the other. Also, open to any other thoughts, advice or suggestions. Thanks in advance.:D

Well, one advantage that June has is that most places consider that the "off season" in Belize so accommodations are generally cheaper :)

June tends to be the windiest month in Belize so that could affect your diving so March is a better bet if you will only be in San Pedro for a couple of days. If you prefer June for any reason, you should consider Placencia so that you can do the inland tours on the windy days as Placencia has much better access and is closer to many inland adventures. We typically switch divers back and forth between inland tours and diving in June at Splash (mainly affects whale shark divers).
Regards
Ralph

June usually has a strong Easterly wind which can kick it up. I've gone in March and June with March being perferred.

Thanks for the info. All good points to consider. Any comments on water temps or visability at these two times? Any difference in the marine life? What if I moved the summer trip back to get get the cheaper rates? When do the winds lay for better diving? Thanks again for the comments.

March, April and early May are the best times. Water temps high 70's to low 80's, vis 80 plus.

We dove with both Ecologic and Island Divers on our last trip. Island Divers was the better dive shop. What ever shop you decide on, talk with them about diving Hol Chan, may be the same as Shark Alley. They still do a lot of feeding there and the fish have figured this one out. The reef isn't that much to look at but the fish more than make up of it.

Couple of items about inland.

We stayed at Martha's Guesthouse and used their shuttle service.
Very prompt and professional. Might be less expensive than renting an auto? Just a thought.

You need to make reservations for the ATM cave - you should also consider TIKAL....
We used PACZ Tours

Check my blog: afreelancewriter.wordpress.com -- You'll need to scroll down a bit for my trip report on Ambergris Caye.

PM if you have an questions.

Dive safe,

Casey

Thanks for all the good information. I am starting to work up a trip for mid March (spring break). Will probably dive 2 days, transfer to the mainland and to ATM and Tikal. Any other suggestions welcome. Possibly looking at Blue Tang Inn or Paradise Villas for a place to stay. Diving and tours is adding up so looking for clean but lower priced accomodations. Any comments on these locations? Also, where have people stayed for the mainland tours? Starting to look at San Ignacio area as a base for the tours.

Also, Casey's blog raised an issue of the flight back to the mainland being low altitude. I was defaulting to a boat ride back to the mainland since I will have to dive two days and then travel back to the mainland the very next day to fit it all in while school is out. Anyone researched the flight issue after a couple of days of diving? I usually allow 2 days before I fly but have not done any research on a jump like from AC back to Belize City. Comments requested?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom