March 2012 ...The "Who's in Cozumel" LIST!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our inbound plane is now coming from Boston and has not even taken off yet. Plane is delayed, 3:00 pm estimated arrival in CZM now. Bummer, I was hoping for a dive in front of the Villa to play with the new camera a little...
This is our flight to CZM:
FlightAware > American Airlines (AA) #1867 Flight Tracker
We are still going to met TVMark with his connection at ORD so he won't have to hang by himself. His plane left MCI on time.

Please. There is no fine dining on this island. There are some good meals and they are generally well priced. CAsa Mission (did not live up to its billing. Very mediocre poorly spiced food), los Seras (fine for what it is), lobsteria (best we had), Pepes (ugh), Perlita (lionfish at least was different), Guidos (very decent standard Italian fare) Presidente Intercontnental pool bar (actually decent, although underspiced and over priced).

But we were here to dive and the diving was world class!

Fred,

I might be a simple epicurean. Kat might even just call me simple, but did you try Kinta? That strikes me as fine dining, yet at a reasonable price. La Cocay might also make the fine dining list for me. La Perlita may not be fine dining, but I thought the lionfish was excellent.

Danube was also, to my mind, a fine dining experience. However I am not sure of their status these days.

That being said, you can't swing a dead lionfish without hitting a restaurant on the Island, so I am sure there are others. I can't comment on the Casa Mission. The one time we went there, it was only to eat of the menu of Parilla Mission which was closed at the time. Parilla would not be fine dining, I guess, but we like the place. They could use to work on their margaritas though..... Casa Mission does have the prices and the ambiance of fine dining if not the food as you say.

The rest of yours haven't even made my list to try yet.

CAsa Mission (did not live up to its billing. Very mediocre poorly spiced food), los Seras (fine for what it is), lobsteria (best we had), Pepes (ugh), Perlita (lionfish at least was different), Guidos (very decent standard Italian fare) Presidente Intercontnental pool bar (actually decent, although underspiced and over priced).

I don't think ANY of the hotel fare on the island can be classified as fine dining! I have eaten at Casa Mission...once. Los Seras is a place we regularly hit for cheap snacks. Like Guidos a lot if you feel like spending a lot of money....and we've only eaten lunch there! Lobsteria is OK but not on my "must hit" list. Last time we were there, we ducked in because it was raining so had a glass of wine each and a snack. I have been to LaCocay once.... I have to say that while I am a devoted foodie (my pantry in Canada is the size of a small bedroom and I own hundreds and hundreds of cookbooks), my expectations change a bit in Cozumel. For the most part, we don't go to the high end restaurants much and look more for small, locally owned, well-prepared, inexpensive food. In that regard I'm pretty low-maintenance because there are so many to choose from.

We are still going to met TVMark with his connection at ORD so he won't have to hang by himself. His plane left MCI on time.

That sounds like more fun than I am having. I am doing laundry! But it is a gorgeous day here in Cozumel (as was yesterday!) and perfect for drying clothes. See you soon!

Well, not to point out the obvious, but fine dining and good food do not necessarily mean the same thing. There is a lot of good food, much better than mediocre. I would agree tho, that for "fine dining", not so much.

I really didn't mean to create a fuss. We came here for great diving and that is what we got. The food was okay. It was what Coz had to offer. In Grand Cayman there were spectacular restaurants with equally spectacular prices. That is not what Coz offers. But we had a great time and, as noted above, we will seriously consider returning although there are lots of dive locations that we have yet to try.

Anybody know any good places to eat close to the Hotel Cozumel? I've got Christy's list, but not sure where any of them are located. Would like to try some within walking distance of HC. I know everyone likes El Moro and Wet Wendys, but are they close to the hotel? If they require a cab ride, we'll probably try them when our friends get there and we go out with them. We're not particular, but would appreciate suggestions from others who have tried various places,and have enjoyed the food.
It's our first time staying in town. :)

Will be back March 30 thru April 7. Staying at HC and diving with Scuba-Du.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom