Mapping PI Dive Sites on Google Maps...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll dig our maps out and put the sites on the Goggle Map. I'm in. Great idea!!! Send out PM's to us when you are ready to commence work.

OK, made a little progress last nite but learned about a few limitations on Google Maps. Jon and Caloy, I've set you up as collaborators. It seems that you can only put about 100 markers on the browser version (doesn't seem to be a problem on Google Earth - the standalone program). But I think it might make sense since having too many markers would bog down how the map will load or all you would see is a screen full of markers... :wink:

I think what we'll have to do create individual maps for regions/ locations. They can all be loaded to the map but then people can select which one's they want to look at.

BabyD - go to maps.google.com and open an account. Either use your existing email or create a gmail account and register it, then PM the address used so I can add you.
edit: or BabyD, go ahead and create you're own map for that region and then give us a link afterwards.

This is what is looks like right now, but I will try to start splitting it up into regions - say separate maps for PG, Anilao, Cebu, etc...
Google Maps

A few more things...

once all these individual maps are done, anyone can download them all to Google Earth .

Also, anyone got a nice little wreck icon? Looks like they allow you to upload customized marker icons.

can we use caloy's wreck photos? and mark it with PPD :D

sure go nuts, but I kind of like the icons that Penn used in his maps for wrecks.

BTW, you can stick a photo(s) in the markers, as well as text, hyperlinks etc... This is what I did with Malapascua Exotic Resort.

edit: Oh, I'll have to research this more, but I think we might be able to create an overall PI map that just show single markers for the major sites - say PG, Anilao, PG, Coron, Subic, Tubbataha, Cabilao, etc... and then add links to the more detailed individual maps.

Attachments

• Malapascua.JPG
    Malapascua.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 149
sure go nuts, but I kind of like the icons that Penn used in his maps for wrecks.

BTW, you can stick a photo(s) in the markers, as well as text, hyperlinks etc... This is what I did with Malapascua Exotic Resport.

edit: Oh, I'll have to research this more, but I think we might be able to create a overall PI map that just show single markers for the major sites - say PG, Anilao, PG, Coron, Subic, Tubbataha, Cabilao, etc... and then add links to the more detailed individual maps.

how did you put those icons? where did you get them? i've created an anilao map

edit: saw it. please post the url of the dive flag

done replacing the placeholders

Jon, can you post the link to your Anilao map? (click on "link to this page") and copy/paste the url here.

Back
Top Bottom