mapating rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone

ive never dove mapating (shark) rock in anilao
they say its got fierce curents, its deep 120 fsw and many pelagics they say.

can anyone give me a field report of mapating, or at least say something in more detail

thanks

i think spoon's done mapating... yeah, it's deep... and last i heard there were no patings (sharks) in mapating...

but then again, that side of maricaban is much less dived in compared to those closer to shore... a friend has seen hammerheads in that area (sepok, mapating, etc.)

Jag

Hmm, got me thinking... in all my years diving Anilao, I don't think I've ever been there. :shakehead:

Must do something about that. :blinking:

Hmm, got me thinking... in all my years diving Anilao, I don't think I've ever been there. :shakehead:

Must do something about that. :blinking:

well AFAIK many divers avoid mapating becasue of a combination of depth and strong curretns/undertow.

when i started diving in 1996 they were known as a site to spot sharks , together with mainit. and just like anyplace with strong currents you get a chance to see pelagics.
i think mapating got a reputation because of causing a number of dive related deaths and injuries , even more than mainit.
i hear a lot of divers doing mainit for adventure but seldom does mapating get mentioned anymore.

ingat2.jpg

Is this the same mapating cave on the south side of Maricaban island? Bit far from Anilao really...

There wasn't any pating there either :)

Nice pic Jag!

Is this the same mapating cave on the south side of Maricaban island? Bit far from Anilao really...

There wasn't any pating there either :)

Nice pic Jag!

yes it is
i think the distance is also another factor its not dived often

isnt mapating a cave and multi-gas dive?

isnt mapating a cave and multi-gas dive?

afaik it can be dived with air but both were tec diver favorites during the 1990's

**** that statement makes me feel so old hahaha

Back
Top Bottom