Many questions about wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrtonkin

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the LDS is having their big annual sale, and I'm thinking of getting a wetsuit... What are the issues I should be researching, and the pros and cons of various common alternatives?

First, my info:

5'8", 165lbs
29" inseam, 30"waist, 38"chest
diving coolish water; summer diving in the Great lakes, but at a beginner level (for now). So probably mostly 50-65 degF, with occasional forays towards 40.

Now some questions (with an invitation to point me at other things I should be considering)

Blind-stitching seems to be the best, but how much does it matter if an otherwise good suit doesn't use it?

How much benefit is there to having an attached hood?

2-piece 7mm, john and jacket, vs. 5mm whole-body suit with a 5-7mm shorty overtop? Which is better and why? Where do dive-skins fit into this?

How much of a mobility-enhancement is there by thinning the suit at the joints, and how much does that cut into the warmth of the suit?

How much difference does the make of the rubber matter? I've heard of Rubatex as being the best available, but is it a significant change in heat-loss-rate?

What are the advantages of different kinds of seals, and how much do you compromise in terms of ease-of-donning / outgrowing the suit with small
weight changes?

Aside from Rodale's can you suggest anywhere else I should be looking for reviews and comparasons?

Ok, I think that's enough questions for now... thanks for any and all info.

Jamie

Being a Great Lakes Diver myself and 1000 Islands. Id have to say rent suits till you can afford to buy a drysuit. Even in the Brockville, Rockport area where Temps reach 73f by the end of August I still would rather where a Drysuit with light undergarments and no hood for no-deco dives. If your dead set on a wetsuit buy a cheap 2 piece 7mil because if your still diving by next year your going to want to buy a drysuit. :)

In answer to just one of your questions:
2-piece 7mm, john and jacket, vs. 5mm whole-body suit with a 5-7mm shorty overtop? Which is better and why? Where do dive-skins fit into this?

Have you tried diving in any of these combos? If not try renting and see how comfortable you are diving in them. How cold do you get?

For myself, I have a one piece 6.5 and I'm toasty in 45-65F water. Personnally I hated having layers of neoprene - as I hated adding more weight to compensate for the buoyancy factor - but then I'm lucky I'm warm in my one piece. Dive skins are great to assist you in getting into neoprene - sliding into the suit rather than tugging it on.

For water temp warmer that 65F I'm willing to wear to my full 3/2. (Just depends on the type of diving I'm doing)

Well anyone from southern ontario and western New york will tell you that A dry suit is the only way to go!!! In my opinion if you think you will love the sport as I do you will end up with 3 to 4 suits!! I have a dry suit for any thing deeper than 50 feet in the Great lakes because of thermoclines you will freeze in a wet suit and also wet suits compress 7mm cold suits are like 2mm shorties at depth:wink: A shallow fiver dive in the summer a shorty or a nice 5 mm suit is fantasic etc, etc...

Having said that your best bang for the buck would be a 2 piece jacket john combination if you want a versatile suit without commiting to more than one. Remember neoprene does shrink overtime and dries out.. IMO it is a desposable item:( It dosne't last for ever... On the other hand if you compare the price of a dry suit to the amount of dives you will get out of it on a per dive basis it will be quite affordable. I'm divng a $ 3000 dollar can. Dui drysuit but it also gets about 75-125 dives a year on it:) So i'm warm toasty remember the dives and this suit has 7 year warranty on seams alone... Seems expensive but not really..

If you going to still buy a wet suit look at the BARE product line. They are made in Canada ( Not offshore) Good quailty, selction . pricing and sizing.. I have 3 different wetsuit from them and they have been fabulous:D

Sorry for rambling but this has all come from experience and maybey some when else can benefit from someone else's learning cure

Good Luck:)
Len

Back
Top Bottom