Mantangale Alibuag Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc928tw

Reaction score
Dear Friends:

I was looking at the Asian Diver Mag. and there was an article on Mantangale Alibuag Dive Resort's house reef; its house reef supposely to be very nice. Have anyone been there before? Any info is welcome since I am palnning a dive trip in May. Thank you and I look forward to hear from you.

best

Jeff

I dove with Dudong (owner of Mantagale), yes the house reef was good. They had pygmy seahorses at that time. I stayed in the 2 room suites and would definately recommend them over the standard rooms. We had a great ocean view and spent many a night drinking cold san migels on our back porch overlooking an island. I would definately get to some of the other sites, that part of the philippines is in much better shape than other areas and you will be quite safe there (well, as safe as anywhere now a days). The staff was great and resort really nice.

I really liked the soft corals at medina springs (a underwater freshwater spring). According to Dudong the vis has been really good the last few weeks, much better than normal.

I'm hoping to do a joint Mantagale/Bohol trip in July.

I would love to hear your impressions.

Hi Kraken:

Thanks for the input. I thought no one was going to respond to this thread and that led me to think this place is a bit "off limits" or unknown to other divers. Therefore, I swtich my destination options to Bohol or Sipadan. I really want to do Sipadan but some of my friends also want some night life after my diving so Bohol comes into the picture.
I am originally from Torrance and currently working in Taipei. It is nice to hear from someone back home.

I've dove both Bohol and Sipadan, the encounters are better in Sipadan, but night-life and cost you can't be Bohol. I would recommend diving with Vernon from Bay Watch, he's a good guy and runs a good dive operation. I stayed at Alona Kew and Bohol Divers Lodge, definately go to Alona Kew. People are better, rooms are nicer, and food better. I liked the rooms up by the pool, it was quiet and you could kick back after a day of diving and have a beer by the pool. Check out the Flying Fish Bar on Friday/Saturday nights. THe live band is pretty good.

Too bad you can't visit Dudong, his resort is really a step above anything in Bohol, except for the 120/night places. I think the diving is a touch better in Camigiun, but I like soft corals/nudis. Make sure you dive balicisag as often as possible, you will have encounters will large schools of jacks and I've seen baracuda schools that rival Sipadan. Seeing a turtle in the PHilippines is a rare treat. If you are an advanced diver try to do sunken island (aka Snake Island), the end of the dive is covered with Sea Snakes.

If you use some of the overnight ferries or fast craft you could do both without losing too much diving. PM if you need more info.

Did the oil rigs off San Pedro yesterday, red tide and huge swells... damn I miss good vis.

Where exactly is Mantangale Alibuag Dive Resort? I got some diving in at Alona Beach - Balicasag is the best there, as well as Ray Point, if you like unusual small critters (flambouyant cuttlefish, leaf scorpion fish, etc.). Apo Island has lots of soft coral in excellent condition and the dives are all close to the resort. Also recommend southern Leyte (Peter's), especially Panaon Island.

Nemo:
Where exactly is Mantangale Alibuag Dive Resort? I got some diving in at Alona Beach - Balicasag is the best there, as well as Ray Point, if you like unusual small critters (flambouyant cuttlefish, leaf scorpion fish, etc.). Apo Island has lots of soft coral in excellent condition and the dives are all close to the resort. Also recommend southern Leyte (Peter's), especially Panaon Island.

It's south of Bohol by an island called Camigiun, you get there by travelling via Cagayan del Oro in Mindinao. It's pretty safe, most of the Mindinao problems are the southern part. On my last trip I hit Mantagale, Apo and Alona beach, each has a different feel to it. I like the strange underwater structures and schools at Balicasag, tons of critters in Apo, next time you do apo try diving the pier in Dauin, amazing stuff (frog fishes, flambouyants, ornate ghost pipes, etc). and of course I love the diving at Mantagale, soft corals, pygmy seahorses, sea snakes, mantas (well ok, just one), and turtles. I've never dove peter's, but keep meaning to. I'm pretty pleased with all 3 places mentioned above and have built friendships with people at all 3, hard to go somewhere else when you get to see friends, drink san migel and dive. check out www.mantagale.com, the pictures are pretty accurate regardingt he resort.

Hi kraken:
I went to Dumaguete in Feb. this year. The dives was nice, but didn't get a chance to do the "pier". Technically it is not off limits anymore but in practical sense it is, since the pier authority only allow diving when there is no ship in dock (imagine your chances)... We were there for 5 days and every single day the same ship is docking at the pier and when there is a ship there; you are not allow to dive there even if they are not engaging any activities on or for the ship (including weekends and holidays). I think we might turn off the night life this trip and head for Sipadan. Man, I wish Sipadan is located in PI so you can have the best in under and above water.

That's really a shame, I really love the pier. I've also had great experiences at coconut point, some huge jacks (in a school) doing the mating thing. I love how they change colors. I understand, Sipadan was awesome, but maybe I'm becoming a little jaded on diving (at 520 dives now), and a nice mixture of above and below help me relax more. Heading back to the philippines in July, need a long week vacation. Going to visit Mantagale and then head up to Bacolod to visit some friends.

It would be interesting to understand how much it would "cost you" to dive while the ship is docked. Most things in the Philippines are a matter of "how much" not if.

In 1978 my daughter and I dove Apo Reef which is approximately 20 miles west of Mindoro. It was still quite pristine then, but I have heard stories that dynamite and cyanide fishing have taken a heavy toll. Has anyone out there anything to report on current conditions.

John Thurber :06:

Hi John:

I was is APO island near Dumanguete in Feb. It was nice lots of reef fish and corals, but from what i heard from the dive guides--it used to be even better. The size of the "clown fish city" is smaller in scale than before. From my understanding, APO reef and APO island are 2 different locations and quite a distance apart. I also heard that there was a oil spill near APO REEF not long ago by some live aboard operator, you might want to check the net for more details.

Happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom