Manta Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Socorro Islands.

Hi Tmccar1,

I see some people have already given you a few suggestions but may I perhaps suggest northwest Ari Atoll, Maldives? I went there the day before yesterday (29th of March) and saw 35 to 40 manta rays, extremely close, on a 60 minute dive. Dive spot Donkalo Thila. Note that the manta season in this area of the Maldives is December to beginning of April. It turned out to be one of the best dives of my life actually.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Leroy

holbox and contoy, 2hrs from cancun, the summer months of july and august, they are there alright, large numbers too eating the plankton, last year we saw mantas in numbers up to 15+, from 3m-6m, monsters! the water is green though because of the plankton, not the most perfect shot of the graceful giants! you ll find them closer than you would have imagined.
a little further away from home, thailand is a hot spot for mantas, whitsunday islands in austrailia too.

From Long Island NY, it's a long way to the manta ray hotspots. I'd go to Kona. Amazing topside which will ease the pain if the manta's don't show.

manta.jpg

Image5.jpg

lava2.jpg

fall.jpg

The night manta dive with Kacks in Kona is one of the best dives we have done anywhere. The even film it for you if you desire.

I've done the manta dive a few times in Kona...and I've been lucky enough to have mantas show up every time. I realize that by typing this I have already screwed my chances of seeing mantas for the next (as of yet unplanned) trip to Kona. But...i've always had a great time with Jack's Diving Locker...you can't go wrong with them. The dives you do sans-mantas in Kona are worth the trip too though :).

Saw mantas, a lot of mantas, the first time in La Paz, Sea of Cortes, about 5 years ago. End of September is the time. A good place to go, we also dove with sea lions, very cool. Then in Bora Bora last year, in February, we saw a few but not like La Paz. Very awe inspiring when they come by.

As beautiful and graceful site you will ever see is a manta gliding over a coral reef as you watch from a lower angle.

bubba105:
Saw mantas, a lot of mantas, the first time in La Paz, Sea of Cortes, about 5 years ago. End of September is the time. A good place to go, we also dove with sea lions, very cool. Then in Bora Bora last year, in February, we saw a few but not like La Paz. Very awe inspiring when they come by.

Unfortunately when I was in LaPaz in November, they reported they hadn't had a manta sighting in about 3 years nearby.

Bora Bora is pretty reliable for mantas, as is Rangiroa.

Back
Top Bottom