Manta Ray in Haleiwa Trench!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
dove the trench early this morning with some air force buds..
first dive was the near wall..

second dive was the second reef..
WOW! 8 foot wide Manta Ray in Haleiwa Trench!

here's a still..
manta8468.JPG

and here's a video..

Video of Manta Ray_Haleiwa Trench - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

write more about the rest of the dive later.. gotta 'git to dinner :biggrin3:

Cool stuff. Ya never know when they will decide to pay a visit.

Few years back off Kona, our group was just about to surface after a 15' stop, when someone spotted a huge manta cruising in from deep water. We were mesmerized as he circled us several times and swam off back into deep water. Could not have been more that 20' away. Huge animal. Had we gotten out of the water a minute earlier, would have missed the show.

isn't it awesome. the only manta I have ever seen was at the trench. We told some divers coming in after us and they said "you are mistaken there aren't manta's out here. it was an eagle ray or something else". I do know the difference but I suppose they don't frequent that area so that person must not have ever gotten as lucky. My first ever monk seal encounter was also at the trench. Didn't have my camera either time, but some others that were out the day of the monk seal got some good pics and sent me one. I am really glad you saw and documented the manta out there.

Yes, the trench is not one of my favorite sites but when the big boys decide to make an appearance, it is frequently there. I have not been so fortunate.

That's great!

just back from Duke's Grill.. mmmm stuffed :biggrin3:
good band and nize sunset too!

here's a full slide-show of both dives in Haleiwa Trench..
Sharpcast Slideshow

here's the crew..
Casey, Dutch, VBlueV, Chad..
DSCN8414.jpg

first dive on the near-wall.. we also saw a large stingray cruising 10 feet above the sand..
never seen one flying that high off the bottom.. [sorry no pic.. he was bookin']

after the turn we found the TCS along the near-wall..
it had some discovery-channel "action" going on :wink:
the turtle on top kept moving from one turtle to the next tryin' to get some play..
DSCN8394.jpg

second dive to the second reef..
'saw the biggest fins i've ever seen on a Yellow-Tang..
yellow8435.jpg

saw tons of nize live coral heads and cool rock formations..
a big Yellow-Margin Moray.. and a good sized White-Mouth Moray..
lots of Goatfish and Bigeyes too..

and of course.. the 8 foot wingspan MANTA RAY! :eyebrow:
check the slide-show..

thanks to my buds..

and thanks for viewing..

Damn, VBlue! You see the darndest things! Thanks for sharing your pics so that were all jealous!

The only reason he sees the darndest things is because he practically lives in the water and only comes out to eat. Sooner or later he'll start eating sushi and live there forever. Oh wait...he does eat sushi...hmmm

Cool pics bro...wish I was with you that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom