Manta Ray Dives in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triggerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering how manta ray dives work in kona? Do the mantas congregate in one area? Do the dive ops all fight over the same area each nite, or do they take turns going to different areas or diving different nites? Do the dive ops feed the mantas or is it just the lights that bring in the krill/plankton and the mantas feed off that? Do any of the dive ops have a policy if you don't see mantas they take you out another time? (Some dive ops in south africa have a guarantee that you will see a great white, and if you don't they take you out again for free.) Is there a "better" dive op to do a manta dive with, or are they all about the same?

I'm very interested to hear about any suggestions you might have! Thanks for you help!

here is one of our students on a night dive after we certified him (*warning - video is awesome) watch the video and get a feel for what it's like (and it will answer most of your questions)

YouTube - mantarays with tango

i prefer jacks diving locker...good all around outfit.

The shops are pretty well organized, often sharing moorings to tie up. All go to the same spot, can be quite a few boats with private and charters all there.

Why the mantas like the usual areas, don't think anyone knows, but they come. If they don't, it is not the dive operator's fault, don't think there are refunds or such. Most have an afternoon dive before the mantas, so that is not the only dive of the trip.

The concentration is from the single bucket of lights set up on the bottom. Only one light source, everyone gathers around it. No feeding, mantas have plenty of stuff to swoop around and eat.

I have always used Jack's Diving Locker, but most all the operators get good reviews.

One little add on... the light source is in large part the divers and the videographers, as each diver generally has a light and the videographers typically have the brightest light sources. A couple of the bigger operators have milk crates that they'll put 4-5 lights in and put down early so as night falls and the plankton comes out of the works there's a light spot to start aggregating plankton (it's attracted to light like a moth) before the divers get there. The bucket is generally placed on a spot where the reef is more or less a barren sand and rubble area so the divers won't damage other parts of the reef.

There are basically two spots that this is done at, both off the Kona airport and off the Keauhou Sheraton. The airport site generally has the largest numbers of mantas. Both sites seem to be particularly rich in plankton and likely have been natural feeding areas for the mantas all along. the airport site was well known for it's large collection of plankton feeding garden eels long before the mantas were found there. Most of the dive operators use the airport site as their primary site, it's better set up for larger numbers of divers, generally more protected from swells and currents, and has typically larger numbers of mantas. Several companies will head south to the other site if it's been a couple nights of no-shows up at the airport.

It sounds like 6-10 boats of divers all sitting within a 60-70 foot circle would be a "cluster" but it's not bad at all.... used to get that way down off the Sheraton site before mantas were found at the airport site though as it was quite prone to heavy surge and you'd have divers losing a grip and bowling into other groups, the airport site is much better in those regards.

Here's my single experience on the manta dive:

Do the mantas congregate in one area?

As stated earlier, the old airport and the Sheraton seem to be the two big sites. The dive boats go to the old airport site, hotel guests and catamaran passengers go to the shore just off of the Sheraton patio.

Do the dive ops all fight over the same area each nite, or do they take turns going to different areas or diving different nites?

A bunch of them share the same area, there are several mooring lines, but if there are more than 3-4 boats, they often tie to moored boat (discretion of the captain whether to allow that)

Do the dive ops feed the mantas or is it just the lights that bring in the krill/plankton and the mantas feed off that?

Just the lights. You shine them up to attract the plankton, and the mantas come swooping in.

Do any of the dive ops have a policy if you don't see mantas they take you out another time? (Some dive ops in south africa have a guarantee that you will see a great white, and if you don't they take you out again for free.)

Mine didn't, and the water was so clear that we didn't see any mantas. But they take you on a night tour of the reef if the big guys don't show up, and I was totally pleased with that. When I got back to the hotel (we stayed at the Sheraton) my GF said she was on the patio watching the mantas splash playfully on the surface.

Is there a "better" dive op to do a manta dive with, or are they all about the same?

I went with Jack's Diving Locker, they did a good job. Dunno about the others, but it seems like every dive op in Kailua-Kona was out there that night.

I'm very interested to hear about any suggestions you might have! Thanks for you help!

If you're usually properly weighted, give yourself at least 5lb extra. It's almost impossible to kneel on the bottom otherwise, and you can't even pick up some rocks for additional ballast case lava rock weighs nothing. I couldn't stay still in the slight surge and was getting push into all manner of giant moray eels and urchins.

It's a great dive, as long as the video types don't shine their lights right in your eyes and blind you. That's the only major problem, if you do video, try to be considerate of the other divers.

It's not just the video folks. EVERYONE is given pretty powerful lights for this dive, and some people bring their own fish fryer. The briefing will usually discuss appropriate/courteous use of lights, and it's worth paying attention to.

It's a great dive, as long as the video types don't shine their lights right in your eyes and blind you. That's the only major problem, if you do video, try to be considerate of the other divers.

Agreed.

Don't worry, you will have a great time.
Here is the video I shot..

I'm signed up for thte 3rd week in Feb. I'm SO looking forward to doing this!!!:D

I compare it to a getting all your buddies together around a campfire and watching the shooting stars. It's just underwater...and no drinking until it's over. :p Awesome....I'll be there on Feb 10 & 11. Sweet!

Back
Top Bottom