Manta dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maildiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Doing the Manta night dive in Kona, stuck between 2 operators, Big Island Divers and Kona Honu. Have heard good things about Big Island, but not that much about Kona Honu. Does anyone know how their boats compare, I hear KH has lights under the boat to attract the mantas. I am going with 3 others all snorkelers.

I've dove with outfits and had nothing but good experiences with both.

One thing you need to understand is that ALL of the boat ops go to the SAME manta dive. The shops all cooperate and set up a "campfire" of lights on the bottom and their divers all "sit around the campfire" in a large circle (each boat having their own portion of the arc).

Kona Honu has a bigger boat, but both boats are quite comfortable.

KH for the bigger boat. Lights for the boat in the water, not. Fisheater has the drill down. Bigger boat would be better if the conditions get snotty. Brighter the dive light, the better.

Kona Honu has a bigger, more comfortable boat. But both operators have a pretty good reputation. Keep in mind that the mantas show up about 80% of the time...not 100%. They haven't shown up the past couple of nights (at least at Garden Eel Cove...the better spot, in my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom