Manila for business, and then...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waxawa3074

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm here until the 12th on business. This all happened at the last minute, so i didn't have time to look into it. I probably won't. Have another opportunity to visit this beautiful country for quite some time - if ever. I want to extend my stay for a few days but I'm on a tight budget. Can you recommend some dive shops or resorts?

I realize i might have to take a short flight. I'm okay with that. I don't have my gear with me, so rental is a must.

Is this the season for the butanding?

Easy Diving Resort in Sipalay Negros is fairly cheap and a very professionel outfit, you will be able to rent all equipment, except camera. There are +40 dive sites you can dive most of them without having to pay a sanction fee. The dive sites spans from shallow coral reef, wall and wreck dives to tec dive sites. The flight price from Manila to Bacolod and return is about $40 with CebuPacific airline. You can arrange a pick-up from Bacolod to Sipaly with EasyDiving. When I say cheap I mean it is upto half the price of the likes of the major resorts in Dauin and Bohol.

if your on a short trip i woud not recommend hopping on a short airplane trip as that would already take at least six hours away from your unplanned dive trip. then add the 18 to 24 hours no fly time after diving,

if your main area is metro manila, then its best for a 3 hour drive . thats Subic or Batangas.

Easy Diving Resort in Sipalay Negros is fairly cheap and a very professionel outfit, you will be able to rent all equipment, except camera. ....... When I say cheap I mean it is upto half the price of the likes of the major resorts in Dauin and Bohol.
Artistic Diving charge slightly less than Easy Diving on both accommodation and diving.
BTW, Liquid at Dauin charge more or less the same and it is a lot easier to get to Dauin(Dumaguete) than Sipalay.

What do you like/want to see? There is a lot of good diving in the Philippines. Macro and muck in Anilao. Good diving and nightlife in Puerto Gallera. Coron for wrecks. If whale sharks are important you can support the whale shark feeding in Oslob (not my favorite thing, but to each their own).

Truthfully, diving with the whale shark is what I was looking forward to since I will probably never have the opportunity otherwise. Now that I've read about the controversy however, I feel it is not the right thing to do.

Where I'm from, I have access to a multitude of wreck dives - very well preserved due to the cold fresh waters. Here, if I could see the manta ray (or the butanding) I would be ecstatic. Having said that reefs, walls and canyons are all interesting to me. I still new to diving with a mere 30 or so dives. I simply want to take advantage of this rare opportunity to dive the Philippines.

If it was me? I'd take a flight down to Coron Bay. Never been, but it sounds outstanding.

Have done Cebu (mainland: not Malapascua), and whilst it was pleasant enough, I wouldn't rush back.

The thrasher shark in Malapascua is well worth the trip in itself. But the dive is around 24-27m and may NOT suitable for the inexperienced.
Anilao which is only 3-4 hrs from Manila probably suit you better. But getting there is NOT cheap(private) or quite tedious(public transport). The place is well known for macro.
Puerto Galera is fine if you do not mind the slightly turid vis!! Getting there is fairly easy as there is tourist transfer from City State Tower Hotel(Si-Kat) or Swagman Hotel daily.
Coron is very good if you like wrecks. But the better one are all pretty deep ie. >30m.
How to allocate your time is your problem.

I just came from Mindoro, About 3 hours travelling from Manilla for about 160 peso by bus to batangas then around 250 peso for the transport to Puerto Galera.

I stayed near White Beach and dived with Pacific Divers. They're quiite layed back but very friendly and work with you to get to the dive sites you want to visit. I would recommend the Canyons ( great drift dive) and Hole in the Wall. Hibo reef if you want to do a deep wall dive. Equiptment and air was ok and they do some nice food also.

Get in touch with Didier at Pacific Divers he got us a beach Cottage for 800php a night.

As already mentioned Visibility is a bit hit and miss. Check out the weather forecast if its looking a bit rough your going to get 8metrs max. LAst week the whole place seemed pretty quiet with not too many divers in the water.

hope that helps

Diving is 1400php per dive ( all in i think)

If you do go with them tell him Matt and Jo sent you.

Back
Top Bottom