Mangled toe.... and pride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Diving in Curacao I had an unusual, painful and very debilitating accident, but as the emergency doctor said "if you're going to have a diving accident, this is the accident to have....". It was also stupid and embarrassing, but I'm sharing the story here because I've seen others make the same mistake and maybe my tale can prevent a similar mishap.

On Dec 30 I drove down to Porto Marie to meet two friends for a 3:30 PM shore dive. When I got to the beach, I unloaded my gear, placing my two 4-lbs lead weights, BC, mask, reg & other equipment on a tall counter and the tank, fins and other items on the floor. Then I sat on a beach chair and relaxed waiting for my friends. When they arrived, they also unloaded all their gear in the same spot and, after parking our cars, we set about gearing up.

While chatting away, I pulled the BC towards me, not realizing the lead weights were right underneath. The BC dragged the weight right off the counter and right onto the middle toe of my left foot. The impact was horrible but I managed to grip the counter closing my eyes to let the initial wave of pain pass. By the time I opened my eyes, there was a rapidly growing pool of blood on the floor.

None of the area doctors on duty answered their phone [not surprising on the afternoon of December 30...], so we headed off to the hospital in Willemstad. An excellent doctor, newly returned to Curacao after 20 years in the US, patched me up as best she could. The impact hit right at the tip of the toe and blew the front right off, so stitching was nearly impossible. Finally she managed to re-attach the hanging tip with stitches and tape.

Needless to say, the remaining vacation week was ruined as I couldn't even stand up. I was dreading the trip back [Curacao, Miami, La Guardia, Toronto], but American Airlines' wheelchair service was outstanding and made the solo journey, with tons of luggage, manageable and even comfortable.

I had no idea how painful and debilitating such a seemingly minor injury would be and I now have great respect for the lowly toe... At first, I tried going to work, wearing men's bathing slippers, but the moment I lowered the foot blood would begin coming out, so my doctor grounded me for two more weeks. We couldn't remove the bandage or take out stitches until after 24 days. I finally wore old loose mocs for two hours on January 30, exactly 1 month after the accident. It took three more weeks before I was able to wear regular shoes. After that the nail feel off and took 3 more months to grow back.

I've been diving twice since the accident and freaked out both times after seeing people put their weights on a table or a bench - so unfortunately I'm not the only idiot who does this, which is why I'm swallowing my pride and sharing this sorry tale with you all... :blush:

Please remember to leave your weights on the floor and, probably far more important: concentrate while suiting up!

I ride horses, and one of the safety things with horses is that you never wear open-toed shoes around them, because you're likely to get your feet stepped on. I feel the same way about scuba gear -- it's really hazardous to wear flip-flops or sandals when managing 35 pound tanks and lead weights. Sorry your vacation was spoilt by such a mundane accident!

Thanks for sharing. I try to keep my weights close to the floor.
I once drove by myself with my horse, 500 miles each way, fox hunted for a week and didn't hurt myself. I arrived home and dropped a Maglight on my big toe while walking into the house. Of course, it's my big toe joint that already had so much arthritis that the radiologist couldn't even tell if the bone was broken.

Would you believe that the doctor who treated me said my injury reminded her of a terrible one she sustained when she used to ride in California and a horse stepped on her foot?! :wink:

---------- Post Merged at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been wanting to buy lead shot bags for a long time, but then I would have to travel with them and adding 6-8 lbs to a suitcase today with something you get for free at diving shops makes no sense with the current baggage allotments... Do you travel with yours?

I ride horses, and one of the safety things with horses is that you never wear open-toed shoes around them, because you're likely to get your feet stepped on. I feel the same way about scuba gear -- it's really hazardous to wear flip-flops or sandals when managing 35 pound tanks and lead weights. Sorry your vacation was spoilt by such a mundane accident!

I think the difference between flip flops, water shoes and sneakers is negligible. Stubbing toes is one thing dropping weights a hole other matter. Unless your advocating steel toes on the boats, I think its better to preach safe equipment handling techniques while wearing flip flops :) As a side note I stopped using hard weights years ago they hurt to much lol.

Oh no! So it goes, no? The doctor told me that I probably would have been better off had the weight fallen higher up the toe, instead of right at the edge. At least the skin would not have ruptured as badly. How's your toe now?

I'll bet the same thing never happens again. We all live and learn from our mistakes and even from thing tht at the time did not seem to be a mistake. I'm sure your story will prevent at least one injury, maybe more. Thanks for sharing. Can we assume you healed properly and are back diving whenever you can?
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom