Mandatory Fishing Logbooks in NC starting in May 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga James

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got the letter from NCDMF. It looks like we will be responsible for filing weekly logbooks starting some time in May. There will be online reporting, and also a smartphone app as well as paper. They will be due on Sunday, late by Tuesday. According to the letter, if you don't file or are late multiple times they will notify the Marine Patrol. Should you be stopped, a citation can be given and if convicted it would be punishable as a Class 2 or 3 misdemeanor.

I am not sure if it is for all 'For Hire" boats fishing, or just for boats carrying the Blanket license. I would guess about 10% of my trips are spearfishing, some times we troll between dives and I like to take personal "fun days" fishing when the dolphin bite is red hot in early summer. I like maintaining the blanket license because under state regulations Headboat/Charter boats are considered "commercial fishing operations" in the eyes of the dept of revenue, exempting the 7% sales tax on fuel and supplies.

The upside is the NCDMF will stop calling every week for a survey, but it will still be a headache. It is not like we have time for anything else when the season is cranking. But sometimes the regulations we have to comply with make running charters even less attractive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom