Manatees at Weeki Wachee Abyss (aka "Hospital Hole")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome set Doug (but then you already know that from all the other posts :D). The Manatee seems like such a peaceful animal. How is the interation? Is is just one of curious looks or do they physically interact like sealsand sea lions (nibbling and touching)? I am with Larry and hope to come to Florida to dive (and one reason is the Manatees).

Steve, I don't want to answer for Doug but I will share with you the first time I went to do the manatee dealio.... I had one come up to me asking for a scratch (they love to be scratched). I was happy to oblige. Heck with all the people in the water this one had chosen me to give him a scratch. :thumbs-up I was more than thrilled. Well after a scratch, then a few more, and a few more I realized I had become his toy for the day! :shocked2: They say not to molest them but someone forgot to tell this particular manatee that it is a two way street. :D

I've been fortunate to have lots of manatee interactions over the years. In general, they are very interested in human interaction. It is important, though, to follow all of the rules and let them initiate any contact. That being said, if they want their belly scratched -- scratch away! Swimming with these wonderful creatures is something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. Definitely add it to your "bucket list"!

Doug

Couldn't agree more Doug. They got "scratched" off my bucket list a long time ago:
2169482044_eedb8d1e76_o.jpg

I know I will make it out there one day to dive with the Manatees.

Mike:

Give me a call anytime you want to dive with the manatees. You are even welcome to stay at my house. Besides, Kim is at college now so she won't be able to paint your toenails blue while you're sleeping!!! (Ah, yes. Some stories never die) :)

Doug

Hahaha Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag Doug! Tell her she has to come home and dive with us though so we can have more stories!!

Im thinking of heading out in February sometime towards the end of the month. Ill let you know!

Back
Top Bottom