Manatees at Weeki Wachee Abyss (aka "Hospital Hole")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As a lot of you know I am basically a "warm water, pretty fish" kind of underwater photographer. However, Sunday I was asked to go over to Weeki Wachee to document their cleanup activities as they remove a lot of the debris and algae from the spring area. I had done a similar shoot before they started.

After that dive I was offered a trip by boat to the "Weeki Wachee Abyss" -- formerly known as "Hospital Hole". This is a sinkhole about 300 yards upriver from Rogers Park on the Weeki Wachee River and about 10 minutes by car from Weeki Wachee Springs. A cold front had moved through Florida so it was hoped that some manatees would have moved in and they had. There were three adults and a juvenile in the shallow water surrounding the "Abyss". The "Abyss" itself is a circular sinkhole starting in about 15-20 feet of water and drops to about 140 feet. There is a sulphur layer at about 80 feet, below which there is very little to no light. Unless you are cave or at least cavern certified it is recommended you stay above this area.

I was with a group of 16 divers from Georgia who had come down to dive both Weeki Wachee Springs and the Abyss. Unfortunately, this many divers in such a small area stirred up a lot of the bottom and limited the photos. However, here is what I was able to get:

Roger's Park
weekiwacheeabyss%20(3).jpg

The boat, the captain, and the guests
weekiwacheeabyss%20(8).jpg

Weeki Wachee Abyss (Hospital Hole)
weekiwacheeabyss%20(12).jpg

Manatees
weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0524a.jpg

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0522a2.jpg

weekiwacheeabyss%20(13).jpg

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0530a.jpg

Diving the "Abyss"
weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0538a.jpg

The Sulphur Layer at 80 feet

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0540a.jpg

The silt at 140 feet -- one bad fin kick and you are in zero visibility!

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0547a.jpg

Solution Tubes in the walls -- they are blind passages and do not go to the surface

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0556a.jpg

More Manatees

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0562a.jpg

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0564a.jpg

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0566a.jpg

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0570a.jpg

weekiwacheeabyss20081123_img_0569a.jpg

:clapping:

nice! we dont have manatees, on our part of the world we have dugongs (kinda similar) and i hope to see them one day

thanks for the great pics!

nice pix

Thanks Doug. Hope to get to FL sometime and swim with the Manatees. Were you limited to rebreathers? In many places they seem to limit contact to snorkelers only.

Larry:

I was the only guy on a rebreather. Everyone else was on single aluminum 80s. These manatees seemed very interested in interacting with everyone in the group. Wish I could say that my expensive CCR was helpful, but in this case it really wasn't. However, for doing an hour dive in the "Abyss" at 140 feet it was pretty helpful in limiting my deco obligation! :)

Doug

Thank you for the pics! I especially like the fella lying on the floor napping.

That's brilliant!

Yet another thing on the to-do list :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom