Manatee springs and catfish hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaaron82

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So on Thursday I went to manatee springs for the first time to check it out , we entered at catfish hotel and went upstream and as soon as I rounded the corner at the bottom of the cavern I felt the flow and boy was it pumping lol tied in and went up gold line ( not far at all ) then Turned the dive. We then poked around in the cavern. And then did a quick peek in the headspring to see it. I wanted to say that I was informed by the ranger while checking in to not do the traverse from catfish to manatee which I knew but thought was good that they are telling people ( as stated due to safety review by ranger ) . After seeing this it really puts it into perspective the physical work that the recovery divers did a couple years ago and that is humbling.

Manatee is either a great scooter cave or a good swim dive if you happen to pick the perfect conditions. I was in once where there was zero flow. Manatee is connected to the gulf and is affected significantly by tides

My first attempt to dive there.. stuck my hand out from behind the boulder/wall and turned my dive. Later went back and did another dive with someone who knew Manatee, was appreciative for the guide..made it maybe 300' and turned the dive. I won't be going back, to afraid of missing the EOL.

I have done Catfish to Manatee when it was possible. But it was then already a tricky dive. You had some deco and had to catch a tree a the exit of Manatee and then throw yourself to the right. Also we went from Catfish to Friedman and from Friedman to Catfish to Manatee.
But we did this when other springs were blown out. I seems that then the flow is lower.
This is a video from that dive. I haven't been there again saidly. But I don't live in Florida.

I have done Catfish to Manatee when it was possible. But it was then already a tricky dive. You had some deco and had to catch a tree a the exit of Manatee and then throw yourself to the right. Also we went from Catfish to Friedman and from Friedman to Catfish to Manatee.
But we did this when other springs were blown out. I seems that then the flow is lower.
This is a video from that dive. I haven't been there again saidly. But I don't live in Florida.

Just remember, next time you do Manatee, exit at Catfish... that log is fairly jammed up and impeding flow now... or was last I heard.

I know, you cannot exit anymore at manatee.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom