Manasquan Inlet, NJ Saturday June 28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevlax2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am new to the boards...looking for a dive buddy for Saturday June 28. Planning to do 1 dive (thats all you can do because of the tides) in the Manasquan Inlet near Point Pleasant, NJ at high slack tide (~3:45 pm) this Saturday. Will enter in the inlet and do a beach exit. Dove it last weekend and had good time doing it. Please let me know if you are interested in joining me, I am happy to let you know about my previous diving experience etc. Water temp was 57 last weekend.

-Kevin

Attachments

• Manasquan Inlet.jpg
    Manasquan Inlet.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 96
Do you understand the tides and when to turn and all that stuff? I usually dive there with my regular buddy who understands all of the stuff that I don't. But I'm busy with something else this Saturday anyway. Maybe another time.

Yes I understand the tides there. It's important to be patient to wait until high slack tide before entering. You can tell when its time by throwing small pebbles into the water. If they are carried by the current, you wait...if they sink straight down its time to go.

As far as when to turn...if you keep in sight of the rocks (you are required to be within 50 feet of them, and visability is usually less than that), you can follow them right around at the end of the jetty. Then you are in the surge zone (with a sandy bottom) and you can get close to the shore and surface.

Last week it took the lifeguards about 15 seconds to show up and ask us for our beach passes after we got out. Friggin' Jersey :lotsalove:

Last edited:
Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Let's do it in the future.

The beach pass thing was a joke...NJ makes you pay to swim at their beaches. You don't need a pass to dive the inlet, but they won't let you stay on the beach after you exit. As if you'd want to stop and get a tan with all of your wet scuba gear on...

Actually, you can stay on the beach below the mean High tide mark. This is the demarcation line where the towns may hassle you for paying.

Actually, you can stay on the beach below the mean High tide mark. This is the demarcation line where the towns may hassle you for paying.

That is pretty interesting. I guess one of the benefits of diving is you can actually get below that demarcation line without having to cross the beach. Hypothetically if you hopped the fence, ran across the beach without paying to below the high tide mark, are you considered safe because you are in the imaginary "free zone?"

I'm still looking for a dive buddy for Saturday afternoon so if anyone is around...

Thanks for the clarification! Funny! ...now that I get it.:wink:

I am diving Beach 8th in Queens on Saturday or i would offer up as a buddy. catch ya again soon!

That whole demarcation thing seems to depend on who has the most money and best lawyers in some cities. I have been shore diving in some 60+ different locations around the world and in America and have yet to figure out what the deal is.

Is demarcation a city thing and does a "private beach" really exist anywhere? I thought that it was nationwide that people should have access routes to he water like in Cally in between some private homes....??? Of course I have been chased away before and know of people who have been chased away by cops event though they were supposed to be on public land. Mass. is famous for this in the Gloucester area. The home owners call the cops on ya and then if you make it into the water, the lobster guys try to kill you. Geesh!!!

It seems In California they do a better job of allowing public access than they do here in the NE US. Perhaps that's because Cally is a water culture thus more people willing to fight it out.

Beach 8th street in Queens is "private" property and we access it through a hole cut in the fence. Nobody ever comes to chase us away and in fact the firemen and cops still use the area to train. How can someone buy a beach that was at one time public property...at least the water is to the point of demarcation...????? ???

Jason, I'll contact you when my BC is fixed. I hope, whatever it is, is under warranty. I just had it serviced in April.

Back
Top Bottom