Man dies aboard Cozumel catamaran excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a bit confused. Did this gentleman pass on while or after scuba diving? With all those medical conditions not many shops in Cozumel would take anyone diving.

Dave

I am a bit confused. Did this gentleman pass on while or after scuba diving? With all those medical conditions not many shops in Cozumel would take anyone diving.

Dave
From the way the article reads (to me anyway) it seems as if they were on their way to a dive site when the incident occurred. Whether or not he should've actually been diving in the first place is hard to determine without commentary from his doctor. Having just finished up my rescue course(s) I'd say he probably had too many contraindications to be diving in the first place so it was a huge risk anyway. But what I take from the article is that he passed before ever entering the water for the dive.

My condolences to his wife, his family, and friends. My peace be with you and the thought that now he's in a better place and died doing something he loved.

Edit: After reading it again....it seems as if he may've had a heart attack during the dive. So I'm sure there will be many questions and likely a very through investigation into the dive operator's business.

Without trying to derail this thread.....are there dive ops in Coz that use catamarans? Don't remember seeing any out deep. Snorkeling perhaps?

I'm thinking a snorkel tour too. I don't ever remember a Cat other than Scuba Clubs being used as a dive boat & it doesn't have a sail. It's more of a pontoon boat than a Cat.

I agree about it being weird that it was a dive tour. In addition it is incredible how many people don’t admit to medical issues when booking dives. The reporting seems spotty but that is not unusal. News article rarely get all the facts right. In any event condolences to the family and I hope they too can get some peace that he went quickly and in a happy place. I hope to be so blessed.

As I stated above, all the passengers, including children under the age of 10, were dry. There were no scuba tanks on the catamaran. This looked like a snorkel excursion that had just embarked.

As I stated above, all the passengers, including children under the age of 10, were dry. There were no scuba tanks on the catamaran. This looked like a snorkel excursion that had just embarked.
The only reference to diving I saw was on the (poorly) translated Spanish language release. I don't think they were going diving.

We witnessed a tragic event unfold while having breakfast at the Presidente pier yesterday.

A catamaran full of guests pulled up to the pier and CPR was being performed on an elderly man. Once the ambulance arrived, CPR was discontinued and the man’s body was covered in a sheet. A woman presumed to be his wife was near the victim and appeared to be understandably inconsolable.

I am not sure what happened but my guess is that a catastrophic medical event occurred. The catamaran excursion seemed to have just begun as it was around 9:00am when I arrived for breakfast to see the catamaran at the pier and all of the passengers were dry.

About an hour later, passengers were transferred to another catamaran that pulled alongside the first catamaran. The second catamaran then proceeded south for what I assumed to be the continuation of the excursion. I’m certain the mood was very dampened.

It was a sad reminder of how life turns on a dime as well as the importance of having thorough medical checkups, particularly as scuba divers.

My prayers go out to the family of the man.

I was on this excursion with my daughter, mother and sister. A sad day for our group on Royal Caribbean excursion with Fury Catamaran. Supposed to be a day of snorkeling and fun at the beach. Most of us swimmers weren't aware there was an emergency until we were on the boat and saw them performing CPR. June 11th, 2018.

Being "in good health" and having diabetes, hypertension, and a pacemaker are not things that can accurately be said simultaneously about the same person.

More and more it is being said

Commercial pilots on anti-depressants can get waivers etc

The aging demographic wanting to live actively to the end... get used to it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom