Man bitten by shark in Florida died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just in on our news wire. See story below. Thought some of you might be interested.

Man Bitten by Shark While on Dive in Florida Dies

Last Edited: Monday, 25 Feb 2008, 6:13 PM CST
Created: Monday, 25 Feb 2008, 4:43 PM CST

02/25/2008 --

An Austrian tourist died Monday after being bitten by a shark while diving near the Bahamas in waters that had been baited with bloody fish parts to attract the predators.

Markus Groh, 49, a Vienna lawyer and diving enthusiast, was on a commercial dive trip Sunday when he was bitten about 50 miles off the coast of Fort Lauderdale, said Karlick Arthur, Austrian counsel general in Miami.

The crew aboard the Shear Water, of Riviera Beach-based Scuba Adventures, immediately called the U.S. Coast Guard, which received a mayday from the vessel, said Petty Officer 3rd Class Nick Ameen.

Groh was airlifted to a hospital, where he died. Groh was bitten on the leg, Ameen said, but he could not be more specific about the extent of his injuries.

It was unclear what type of shark was involved in the attack. The shark got away before anyone could identify the species.

The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office declined to comment, citing an ongoing investigation by the Miami-Dade Police Department. A telephone message left for police was not immediately returned.

A woman who answered the telephone at Scuba Adventures on Monday said the company had no comment.

The company's Web site says it offers the opportunity to get "face to face" with sharks. The site explains that its hammerhead and tiger shark expeditions in the Bahamas are "unique shark trips ... run exclusively for shark enthusiasts and photographers."

To ensure "the best results we will be 'chumming' the water with fish and fish parts," the Web site explains. "Consequently, there will be food in the water at the same time as the divers. Please be aware that these are not 'cage' dives, they are open water experiences."

Except he was in the Bahamas...

So to even be more confusing, here is another article out of Miami.

MIAMI — An Austrian tourist died Monday after being bitten by a shark while diving near the Bahamas in waters that had been baited with bloody fish parts to attract the predators.

Markus Groh, 49, a Vienna lawyer and diving enthusiast, was on a commercial dive trip Sunday when he was bitten about 50 miles off the coast of Fort Lauderdale, said Karlick Arthur, Austrian counsel general in Miami.

The crew aboard the Shear Water, of Riviera Beach-based Scuba Adventures, immediately called the U.S. Coast Guard, which received a mayday from the vessel, said Petty Officer 3rd Class Nick Ameen.

Groh was airlifted to a hospital, where he died. Groh was bitten on the leg, Ameen said, but he could not be more specific about the extent of his injuries.

It was unclear what type of shark was involved in the attack. The shark got away before anyone could identify the species.

The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office declined to comment, citing an ongoing investigation by the Miami-Dade Police Department. A telephone message left for police was not immediately returned.

A woman who answered the telephone at Scuba Adventures on Monday said the company had no comment.

Here is the URL for the dive operation:

JASA: The Shearwater - Bahamas Live-Aboard

Here is another article on the subject:

Bahamas shark bite aboard Shear Water, official thread
Februrary 24, 2008 shark bite aboard Shear Water
Posted: 26 February 2008 02:00 AM
Last Update: 26 February 2008 09:56 AM
7 comment(s) | discuss in forums
Categories: News, Environment [home]
Author: Eric Cheng ( echeng )
Related Link: shark bite discussion

shark bite discussion
Bull Shark in the Bahamas
Photo: Eric Cheng

This is the official thread on the February 24, 2008 shark bite in the Bahamas.

On February, 24, 2008, a 50 year old man was bitten by a shark in the Bahamas while on a shark diving expedition aboard the M/V Shear Water (also mentioned in the press as “Shearwater” and “Sheerwater"). The man was bitten in the leg by a shark while scuba diving and was reportedly flown via Coast Guard helicopter to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami for treatment.

I just spoke with Jim, who is just clearing immigration right now back in Florida. At the moment, he is completely swamped with everything that must be done. He did say that he is praying for the diver’s family and loved ones, and that the accident was extremely unfortunate.

UPDATE: February 25, 2008— We are looking for testimonials about Jim Abernethy, his dive operation/Shear Water, and Markus Groh, the diver who passed away.

We’ll report facts as we get them.

So Swampers what do you think about baiting those sharks?

My opinion is I passed up a shark feeding excursion at Stewart Cove a couple of years ago, because I just couldn't pay to attract sharks like a Disneyland thing. I enjoy seeing the sharks when it is completely natural and unexpected. Thats my thought. What do you think?

Shawn

My opinion is I passed up a shark feeding excursion at Stewart Cove a couple of years ago, because I just couldn't pay to attract sharks like a Disneyland thing. I enjoy seeing the sharks when it is completely natural and unexpected. Thats my thought. What do you think?

Shawn

Seems like baiting for sharks and then being in the water with them is tempting fate and I'm surprised (but thankful) that divers getting bit doesn't happen more often.

FIRST let me say that Shear Water is an edgy operation. Put it this way, I do not know of any Florida divers/snorkelers who head out with them, it's a 100% tourism operation. Floridians know better.
SECOND- there's nothing wrong with chumming water for sharks but you have to know how to do it.
(1) Divers need to be in the water and set up in a pod formation BEFORE the chumming starts unless you're using a cage. I know I sound like a grandmother, but I've seen some things in the clear Florida waters that make no sense. I guess wildlife, throughout the world, can amaze you and overwhelm you, even when you're as prepared as possible. (Are you willing to be "the one" who makes headlines? Is it worth it?)
(2) When ascending, do it in a 2-or 4- man buddy system back-to-back. If you're solo, you better be in a rotating swirl during your 15-foot stop. Which is almost mandatory when diving SW of Marco Island in the Gulf.

Shawn

The famous Beqa Shark Dive in Fiji is very much like the way BullSharkGator Man describes his suggestions.

Never heard of Shear Water, I guess I hope I never hear of them again. If you don't want to make the oceans a better place, for the ocean's first, and for humans second, then what's the point? All divers will be grounded on the shore and all scuba shops will be out of business because humans closed down our biggest pool. I look at it this way, I work at giving my kids a better ocean than I'm experiencing, but I feel my efforts are in the minority.

FIRST let me say that Shear Water is an edgy operation. Put it this way, I do not know of any Florida divers/snorkelers who head out with them, it's a 100% tourism operation. Floridians know better.
SECOND- there's nothing wrong with chumming water for sharks but you have to know how to do it.
(1) Divers need to be in the water and set up in a pod formation BEFORE the chumming starts unless you're using a cage. I know I sound like a grandmother, but I've seen some things in the clear Florida waters that make no sense. I guess wildlife, throughout the world, can amaze you and overwhelm you, even when you're as prepared as possible. (Are you willing to be "the one" who makes headlines? Is it worth it?)
(2) When ascending, do it in a 2-or 4- man buddy system back-to-back. If you're solo, you better be in a rotating swirl during your 15-foot stop. Which is almost mandatory when diving SW of Marco Island in the Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom