Mammoth Lake Report-- Saturday 10-11-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetCell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had a great set of dives today. Mike and Michelle Cryer run a great dive shop, Hydrosports Scuba, and the lake is a great dive. Clean, well-maintained entry points (in spite of Ike!) and full service at the shop.

Water temp was 77 F, which I found a bit warm, but my 15 YO son found perfect since we both wore suits. Originally we planned to wear the suits down into the "Deep Hole" and then go skin for the C130. Do you ever have that nagging thought in the back of your mind halfway own the road to a dive site that you forgot something? Well, I had that thought and it was swimsuits. Given that we decided to do both dives in wetsuits and no one was the wiser. Yeah, more info than you needed. The checklist has been edited.

Anyway, the "Deep Hole" is a 12' diameter tank that has had one end cut off, at least that is what I think it is, and is sunk into the bottom of the lake. My Datamask reported 58' at the bottom of the "hole" and it is black as pitch. The first time down we had a bit of panic, the second and third descents into the "Hole" were like we had been doing it for years. A great place to get past any personal issues with deep, dark, confined spaces.

On our second fill we hit the C-130. I have flown in them and it was a blast to crawl all over one. My son was blown away--he had no idea about what a C-130 is and we had a great time. I have to admit that the viz was only about 3', but the "Deep Hole" and the aircraft were enhanced by the restriction. Very weird, great fun. If I owned the park I'd put a fake skeleton in the cockpit or the bottom of the "hole", or both. Now that would liven up the Hallowe'en season! (of course, someone would drop dead from fright or drown, oh well)

I also want to thank you, WetCell. Have been wondering about Mammoth Lake and how it really fared during Ike. Glad to hear people are out diving it, and the vis- well, it's Texas! We still haven't made our first trip there, bummer. Is the lake completely full now? Thanks again for the post.

Great report, Wet'.
Much obliged!

I also want to thank you, WetCell. Have been wondering about Mammoth Lake and how it really fared during Ike. Glad to hear people are out diving it, and the vis- well, it's Texas! We still haven't made our first trip there, bummer. Is the lake completely full now? Thanks again for the post.

The lake is full and they have quite a few of the entry points back (with 3-5 covered dive sites each) and only three or so are not available. The shop weathered the storm fine and fills are quick and inexpensive. The C130 tail sticks out of the water and there are buoys on the nose and wingtips--so even though the plane is in two parts, you get a feel for it's (huge) size from the surface.

Mike Cryer is quite a character and has 5800+ dives under his belt--talking with him is like taking a course!

Mike Cryer is quite a character and has 5800+ dives under his belt--talking with him is like taking a course!

FooMan and I met Mike a few years ago while taking our Scientific Diver course at Aquarena. He had a group there, doing the certification course. His plan for Mammoth was in the not-too-distant future at that time, and we were excited for him, and for Texas divers. It sounds like he's done a 1st class job of getting the place going, so now it's up to us to go dive there! WWW that I am, (I retreat to the spring-fed waters of the Comal and Aquarena in the winter) maybe we can plan a Swampdiver shindig in the spring? March-April-ish?

FooMan and I met Mike a few years ago while taking our Scientific Diver course at Aquarena. He had a group there, doing the certification course. His plan for Mammoth was in the not-too-distant future at that time, and we were excited for him, and for Texas divers. It sounds like he's done a 1st class job of getting the place going, so now it's up to us to go dive there! WWW that I am, (I retreat to the spring-fed waters of the Comal and Aquarena in the winter) maybe we can plan a Swampdiver shindig in the spring? March-April-ish?

I am for that. March-April would be a great time to have a gathering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom