Mammoth Lake - 8/30-8/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffro360

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
couple of austinites will be visiting a couple of lake jacksonites and will be out at Mammoth lake saturday and/or sunday... If you see a bight yellow GMC, that's us. come say 'hi'. will most likely be glued to the C130 :dork2:

If you're down with getting a dive in before you leave on Monday, I'll be there. Flying in on Sunday and spending Mon-Wed there. Don't muck it up too bad for me! :wink:

Anyone looking for a dive buddy Sunday or Monday?

John

Anyone looking for a dive buddy Sunday or Monday?

John

Pending this hurricane situation I'll be out there Monday. I already have a buddy but you're more than welcome to join us. PM me if you want to meet up.

I dove at Mammoth last weekend, the C130 is pretty cool.

Viz was very low, 8 feet at best.

I dove at Mammoth last weekend, the C130 is pretty cool.

Viz was very low, 8 feet at best.

8ft! That's great! Remember you're on the "swamper's" forum.

Had a great time out there today. Got to dive with my Dad again and also met a couple of divers; John Owen and Emily Myers. I can say that I have certified 2 new TX SWampers; my Dad and Emily!

We had a little trouble with nav at first and lost a diver. After re-surfacing and getting our bearings, we descended on some boats. After losing the other divers again by getting off course, we resurfaced and found that we were halfway across the lake from them. We then went back down on the Firetrucks and tried to nav back to the dock...again a failure. That lake has some current to it. Everytime we got off course, we were SW of where we wanted to be.

After finally getting back to the dock, we loaded up the gear and headed to the shop. From there we went to the C-130 and submarine. The C-130 is a great dive. It gives you a good feel of an overhead environment without being cramped. We started at the tail and worked our way up to the nose. There's lots of little nooks and cranny's to explore. I'm sure once the fish population gets bigger, there will be some big lunkers hanging out there. The cockpit is great. There's room for 2 with lots of room to wiggle around. It's not silted up yet so you can still see/move things. If you want to see it in this condition, I'd act quick. It's starting to build up.

The Submarine is a pretty cool dive for an overhead environment too. It's smaller and not as long so it's a little cramped. There are plenty of holes in the overhead for you to escape thru incase you don't like it. Otherwise, great practice for wreck skills and comfort building.

VIZ: 6-8'
TEMP: 87 surface/78 Depth (30'+)

As always, Mike and Michelle at Hydrosports are there for your airfills and any items you left at home. They keep the place stocked with most anything you'll need.

Brandon,

Thanks again for letting me tag along, I had a great time.

John

I just returned home this afternoon from my trip to Mammoth last Friday and San Antonio. The hotels I stayed in said they had internet connection but they lied. I couldn't make my report sooner, so I will make one now.

We arrived at Mammoth around 1130 and met up with Jnowen there for the days dives. Dive 1 was very good. We dove to the C130. The vis was about 12' and my max depth was 36'. The temp was perfect also about 84 degrees. We spent about 50 min total underwater checking out the C130 and then heading toward the sub. Which we just missed. Dive 2 we we spent about 54 min under just hanging out around the SE corner. We found the Honda that was suspended but after that we just got the underwater time. At one point while I was watching John I almost ran head on into a large tree. I looked up just in time.

Everyone at Hydrosport Scuba was very friendly and helpful with everything needed. I also want to thank John for coming out and diving with me. I am already planning another trip down there to dive again soon. There is too much I want to see and one trip is not enough, maybe I can spend a weekend there next time.

here's my gallery to Labor day weekend at Mammoth and around Lake Jackson. There is definitely a lot to see at Mammoth, and you will need a good 3-4 weekends to come close to seeing it all. If you have time after your dive go by the Sea Center and check out the Aquarium, it's free! (some shots are in my gallery, linked below).

here's a shot from inside the C130
IMG_1778.JPG

Shots from the weekend:
Picasa Web Albums - Jeff - Mammoth Lake

Vis was not the best for getting some good shots of all the stuff in Mammoth, at least not with my tiny flash. All of these taken with Canon A570 IS and internal strobe. Ikelite Housing. Wideangle lens and strobe are on the list!

Back
Top Bottom