Maldives versus Raja Ampat Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weinerr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering a liveaboard this Dec to either Maldives or Raja Ampat. The Maldives liveaboards have many many available cabins whereas most of the Raja boats, that cost a few thousand more, are fully booked Any opinions why? I have no issue with the higher cost fro Raja, but finding space for 2-4 in Dec may be an issue. I don't want to just default to Maldives if there are issues.

One of the drivers for this trip is to see some big stuff especially Manta's. I did a liveaboard in the Galapagos and was hoping to have a warmer high energy experience.

Thanks//Russ

From what pictures I have seen from Raja Ampat- go there.

I live and work in the Maldives, but would love to go to Raja Ampat

Hey if you want to see mantas go to Soccoro. I've been to Raja and Maldives and while I did see mantas in both places by far the best manta experiences I have ever had and I do mean by far were at Soccoro. Closer and cheaper and you will be blown away.

Living close to and having been to the Maldives several times Raja Ampat is on my must do list. But from what I have read its more about color and diversity and good schooling fish life rather than a lot of pelagics. If mantas and large pelagics are your primary goal and if you were picking between Maldives and Raja Ampat I would think Maldives would be the place. If you are in the right atoll and dive site for the season you are visiting close up manta experiences are more or less a guaranteed. Also lots of reef sharks, and regular whale shark sightings. The reef shark population seems to be doing well since the ban on shark fishing but don't expect anything like the Galapagos though. Thats a different league!

Was in RA in December (I wrote a trip report) and we saw Manta on six dives. And we saw a few reef sharks. BUT the real reason you go is for the incredible diversity and colour. The diving is out of this world. It WILL blow your mind.
My thoughts on why there are so few spots available is that RA is the new must-go-dive place (for good reason) and there are not as many boats in the area due to its remoteness. Although when we were in the Sorong harbour we saw about 10 LOB's which is apparently a big increase from what it was last year. So more boats are heading out there.

Thanks all.

Chinacat46 I took your advice and booked an 11 day trip to Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer the last week of June. I'll aim for 2013 for RA and Maldives. I need to do a lot more research before heading off to Indonesia.

I know you've already chosen/booked, but I think another reason you're seeing high availability for December in the Maldives is it's between seasons then, so weather and currents may be a bit more iffy than during a season.

Back
Top Bottom